We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Gibraltar

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Gibraltar

Have interest in taking train/bus from Ronda to Gibraltar - had found a link to bus schedules from Cadiz.....lover , but can't find it now ..... Help!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,528 posts
3,723 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

MixedNutFlorida:

I would not go to Gibraltar. Their government is having a spat with the Spanish government and crossing the border may take hours.

There are many more interesting places to see in Andalucía than Gibraltar. As an example, Antequera is more interesting.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,139 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

siu.ctmcg.es/es/horarios_lineas_tabla.php…

is bus from Algeciras round the Bay to La Linea where you can walk across to see the famous Rock. There is also a quicker more direct bus if your are lucky

siu.ctmcg.es/es/horarios_lineas_tabla.php…

I do take issue with Benny. The principal delays are caused by Spanish border police who are under instructions to search vehicles especially for contraband. Gibraltar is a low tax place and cigarettes and booze have been smuggled for years. Many Spanish work in Gibraltar and commute to and from and some regulars may be tempted to bring back contraband to resell. . Think the European Commission sent a team to find out why there were delays at the border last Autumn and suggested adding another vehicle lane for inspections. Not sure if this has been carried out yet. Certainly as a pedestrian you should be fine.

The rail journey down from Ronda to Algeciras is rather good. This is the line built by Mr Henderson.

andalucia.com/ronda/hendersons-railway.htm

A taxi from the border to Algeciras train station may cost up to €30 if in a dash.

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Thank you SO much. Trying to plan !!!! I REALLY appreciate your taking time to give so much detail..

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

My daughter is interested in seeing the "rock" so I"m trying to gather info. Andalusia DOES seem awesome!!! Thanks for your time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,139 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

The Gibraltar frontier cameras are great ! You can see down Winston Churchill Avenue towards the Rock or swivel 45 degrees to the left and see if there is a queue at the border going out towards the police shed for vehicles.

http://frontierqueue.gi/Default.aspx

Once you walk through the border post into Gib you will have choice of walking straight on over the airport runway into town or taking a bus or discussing a taxi tour.

The new airport building at Gibraltar is very nice and only entrance is from Gibraltar side although the designers built a separate way in from Spain in order to circumvent the need to go through the main border crossing. Unfortunately Spain does not wish to make use of this facility to date.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

I have been to Gibraltar when they would not let you cross, but was down there about 10 days ago and had no trouble getting across either way.

But things can change very fast, but at this time l do not see a problem.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

7. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ronda