We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyme Disease from deer ticks

Laguna, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Lyme Disease from deer ticks

I just found out that Hudson River Valley has one of the highest incidence of people getting Lyme disease from deer ticks in US. Can anyone offer any input on this subject? Since we plan to be there next week (mid Oct), would tick season be over yet (as opposed to spring and summer months)? This is scary. We don't plan to go hiking but will be visiting mansions along the Hudson River. Thanks.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

If you remove ticks within 24 hours, your chances of contracting Lyme are very small. Just do a tick check every day, and take normal clothing precautions when outside.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

The Hudson valley is full of residents and visitors that don't have a problem with Lyme disease. Follow BB's advise, especially if you're planning on hiking or walking in wooded areas, and you should be fine.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

It is very easy to have a tick and not know about it. They are not that obvious. This area probably has the highest level of ticks anywhere in the country. I never knew I had a tick until I saw the bulls-eye ring.

What mansions are you going to visit? Any run by the National Park Service are closed.

Laguna, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

Thank you all for the input regarding avoiding ticks. Do you think it is necessary to apply Deet? Hate to use chemicals - very sensitive. Understand the light colored long sleeve and long pants, but suggestion to tuck pants leg into socks wouldn't that be kind of bulky?

Disappointed that FDR and Vanderbilt Mansion and West Point will be closed. Will be going to state or independently run places like Clermont in Germantown, Olana in Hudson, Kykuit in Tarrytown. Thanks again.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

I have never used any repellent and don't know how good they are. The worst of the tick season should be over by now since it is getting colder here. If you don't plan to be walking in woods or tall grass you should be fine. Just visiting the houses should be safe.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

Yes, of course it's bulky to tuck pants into socks, but do you care more about fashion or about Lyme Disease? If you're staying inside, you shouldn't worry much. Daily tick checks are always a good idea. I don't think deet is necessary if you're just going to be inside.

Laguna, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

Going to try to leave pants legs outside of socks but will duct tape hems around the ankles - now that is a fashion statement!

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

I recommend deet. You can still get ticks with all precautions taken. Ticks will definitely be around - they don't hibernate. We have had ticks mid-winter. Remember just because you have pants, long sleeves, pants tucked into socks you can still get ticks on your clothes that then you can bring inside. Ticks also love to nest behind your ears. Take your clothes off before going inside - if you can manage this - and then get in the shower. We have lots of experience with them as my dad is a deer hunter and brings them home all of the time.

Laguna, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

Returned from our trip to Hudson Valley. Thank you all for advice regarding avoiding deer ticks. We were careful and don't think we found any of them on us or on our clothes. We only saw one posted warning regarding deer ticks at Mills Mansion in Staatburgh and in a brochure for Montgomery Place in Annandale on Hudson. Locals we talked to said it is a problem but just told us to check ourselves at the end of the day. People should take precautions since Lyme Disease can be serious, but should still enjoy themselves while traveling.

10. Re: Lyme Disease from deer ticks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 19:06