We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April break family vacation with teens.

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
April break family vacation with teens.

Hi all. I am considering Puerto Rico for our break this year and looking for a little direction especially in terms of where to stay. We would like to stay in San Juan area because we would like to be within walking distance to shops, restaurants etc. but not sure of which resort might be best. We typically like to relax at the resort for half of the vacation and venture out and sight see for the other. My concern is finding a resort with enough for the kids to do during the days we just hang out. We are used to all inclusives and I know that there are not any in this immediate area. The Marriot Courtyard Isla Verde looked like it might be okay but any other suggestions would be great. Kids love beach activities, volley ball, pool games etc. , they are 14 and 16. As far as trips, we are thinking of Old San Juan, rainforest, and bio bay. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

There are no AI's on the island at all.

The Marriot Courtyard Isla Verde should be fine as they have packages for kids.

To be venturing out of course you will need a car.

If you click at the top of the page above where it says things to do, this will start your path.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

If you want to be within walking distance to shops, restaurants etc, you should also consider Intercontinental and El San Juan. They're both on the beach. right across the street from shops and restaurants.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 18:45
Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

Ok thanks! Yes we thought we would need to rent a car and will check out the other two hotel suggestions.

Coon Rapids...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

Our family did the Rainforest & Bio Bay. Rainforest was great, lots of walking so wear really good shoes. If you do the Bio Bay make sure you check the calendar to see what days are the best...too much moonlight makes it really hard to see. It's up to you if you want to rent a car-we either walked or took a cab. They have buses as well. Didn't see any volleyball being played.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 12:12
Santa Catarina...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

Verdanza hotel in Isla Verde has he best prices

$100.00 per night and great pool area.

A block away from the beach, but at least the staff is super nice!!! Walk to the beach, save money & have a great time!!!!

No car needed!!!!!

( intercontinental Hotel food and drinks are very expensive!, staff are not so nice)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

Courtyard is great....beach is awesome. ...went tapon fishing with www.quicksilverfishing.com great service and very knowledgeable Captain....many great places to eat within walking distance.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

I disagree with the above post about Intercontinental. Food and drinks are expensive at ANY hotel. Not just Intercon. But there are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. Some closer than Verndaza, actually. I've stayed at Intercon, Verdanza, El San Juan, and the list goes on...

The staff at Intercon is very pleasant. I'm not sure what exactly you based your negative comment on. It must have been a fluke. I've never had anything but a very good stay at Intercon. I highly recommend this hotel. As do many others.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 19:29
8. Re: April break family vacation with teens.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Isla Verde