We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving???

Which Isla Verde hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Diving???

I am an avid diver, trip planned for Isla Verde in June... really want to get some diving in, but from what I'm seeing, there is nothing close at all. My fiance and I really don't want to rent a car... are there any options? Thank you!!!

Edited: 05 May 2014, 20:08
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving???

I'm a diver too...my spouse and I are going in October. There is a group called Scuba Dogs that can take you out. They are located in San Juan. I've been in contact with them over email and they are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful! They gave me a few different options.

How long are you going to be in PR? I ask because if you really want to get some good diving in, apparently the place to go is Culebra. I've done a lot of research about the diving in PR and Culebra keeps coming up in my searches and on forums. If you can make it over there, for a day trip or to spend a few nights, you should definitely do it! There is a nature reserve over there and that is why the diving is so good.

Have fun! Let us know what you decide to do. I am interested to hear.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving???

YES! Thank you so much for the insight! I saw Scuba Dogs on a diving message board as well. Just started looking into this today as we just booked our trip. Did they happen to mention where they take you out? I noticed that most of the diving available was way East and yes, I did see about Culebra; look amazing! We are going to be there for about 8 days with no plans as of yet, but really do not want the hassle of renting a car. My fiance and I are a big fan of the Caribbean and always pick a new location each trip and try to get a dive day in. I have been lucky to dive some amazing places around the world, including Rottnest Island AU and the great barrier reef. Not to say that I'm picky persay; however, I am always looking for the best spots. Granted, I do live in Colorado, so diving is diving when you have no access at home!!!! Thank you again for your response!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving???

Absolutely! Scuba Dogs gave me three options for diving: Escambron Marine Park in San Juan (Northern Coast), Fajardo (East Coast), and Guanica- "Parguera Wall" (South West Coast).

If you are there for 8 days, you should definitely think about taking a few days in Culebra. There are three small airlines that take you over there for about $140 per person round-trip. Or you could even just do a day trip. They leave from a smaller airport where you do not need to go through so much security...one of the websites tells you to arrive 30 mins before your departure. So it isn't a big deal to go over to Culebra. Defnitely think about it! Do a little reading on Culebra. I have found two dive shops over there too, Culebra Divers and Aquatic Adventures. Have been in contact with both and they are both very helpful.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 14:56
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving???

Hey... Dove yesterday. Ended up going east to Fajardo, diving was not great. Hope you have better luck off culebra. Let me know!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving???

I would also be interested to hear how the diving is. We are looking at a week in Vieques and had hoped to do some diving. We know it is not world class and that's ok. We just had a wk off E End Grand Cayman and have another dive trip coming up. Still it seems a shame to be in that area and not dive. If Cuebra is great we could split some time btwn there and Vieques so hoping someone posts a report.

6. Re: Diving???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla Verde