We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book safari in UK or when we arrive?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Book safari in UK or when we arrive?

Hi, I have been reading many if the threads which are suggesting the prices have risen a huge amount to visit Mombasa from the UK. I'm also finding this - we originally where going to come over last year but booked elsewhere (thailand) and now everywhere is £400 each dearer!

So in order I keep the overall cost down I need recommendations on whether to book a safari + beach stay with a tour operator in the UK or just book the beach hotel and then source a safari when we arrive???

We are looking at Turtle Bay Beach club as I stayed there 19years ago (aged 11) and had a fab time or all inclusive in diani / Bamburi? But would love to do 3night/4day safari and also a 1 day trip to the school/culture etc as I have a suitcase full of supplies for the kids!!

Would really appreciate a little help to give me some direction on whether we should or shouldn't book safari?

Thanks in advance

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,819 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book safari in UK or when we arrive?

Hi,

Many Brits do as what you are considering, book a holiday package that covers flight and hotel then they book the safari separately. This also has the advantage that you do not have to pack and vacate your room when you go on safari.

You can do this when you get there from local tour agents who often have reps on the beach (beach boys), you could do it with your tour companies rep (not recommended same safari - much more expensive and the profit doesn't stay in Kenya).

What many people do and is probably best, is to book with a local outfit but do your research, compare itineraries, costs, etc from the comfort of your own home by email. It saves you from wasting valuable holiday time tying to find a deal and you can also ask for advice on whether the itineraries are practicable and the prices reasonable by asking about them on this forum. there are several companies that are regularly recommended on this forum

Dorchester, Dorset
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book safari in UK or when we arrive?

hi im looking for info on booking masai mara trip either in uk or on hol in kenya at diani sea resort. can anyone advise,or tell me price approx. mr bojanglewith regards

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book safari in UK or when we arrive?

2 nights flying from the coast will cost approx £500 per person depending on time of year and type of accommodation.

I now always book my Safaris from the UK but use a local Kenyan travel company, glorious safaris. the email address is below so drop shadrack a line and see what he comes back with.

shadrack@glorioussafaris.com

4. Re: Book safari in UK or when we arrive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Coast Province
Recent Conversations