We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

Among many other things I would like to spend 2 nights at a Beach Hotel preferably on South Coast and although I am originally from Kenya but now live in the US. The hotel rates are ridiculously expensive even with residential rates a family room for a night is about $400 and they would be much higher for non-residents. You have to be rich to take a vacation in Kenya, there is no way even a above average US person can afford this.

Everything else is so much expensive with regards to Hotels in Nairobi and safaris also. Here in the US you are charged per room and not per person. I am wondering how people can afford to go to vacation in Kenya when everything is so expensive even when you convert to USD/UK pounds?

Can anyone give me advice on what is available on an average budget (affordable) on the south coast or north coast with a good value for 2 nights and what the alternatives are?

23 replies to this topic
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

It is a major reason why tourism is on the wane in Kenya, it is becoming so expensive and you do not get value for your money.

North coast you could look at Kahama hotel, Bamburi beach resort.

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

What you also need to remember, as mentioned on a previous post re safari nights in the Mara, although Kenya is a "year round" destination right now is one of the busiest times of the year what with the traditional school summer holidays and the migration in full swing so these factors will certainly increase costs (the laws of supply and demand I'm afraid)...even simple European holidays increase by a considerable % as soon as you reach the school holidays.

To the best of my knowledge a lot of the hotels offer All Inclusive (I'm certainly not saying they all do though), AI obviously is more expensive when looking at the headline costings but of course the extra costs are as minimal as you want to make them. Likewise a if booking a half board option then there is at least one other meal to pay for plus drinks

If booking directly with hotels you pay the "rack rate" I understand which would be more per person than if booking with a travel agent

Yes Kenya is not a cheap destination that is why for many people it would be a holiday of a lifetime, once done, never to be repeated; others perhaps love the country so much that they save hard each year just to keep returning

Hope you find somewhere that meets your budget, when do you go?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

Know that prices in Tanzania are just as high if not higher.

When comparing to the US, what you pay for a room in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. is way different than if in Iowa, Kansas, Vermont, etc. Prices vary whether close-in to a major city, or out in the suburb... even specific areas around the country known for many visitors regardless time of year or even where. Though I've never been and have no intention, I think Disney is way too expensive especially when traveling with family regardless the so-called 'packages.'

Prices worldwide are seasonal and if seeking travel during June-Sept that are when many take holiday or periods of school closings - spring or fall, prices are at their highest. But there are other seasons as well and will vary even between these two countries.

Unfortunately, many don't do sufficient research, give themselves enough time to plan, or have champagne tastes but only a beer budget. You can't expect to travel in peak season, only planning in less than 1/month from when you plan to arrive and get just the right price/deal.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

hI -are looking for hotel or self catering ?

Agree, vacationing in Kenya is not cheap but there are budget options too. Don't despair.

There's something for everyone with all budget types.

If you want good quality budget accommodation, have a look at Tiwi in South Coast.

It's a nice clean, quiet beach. Kids will also love it.

Look at Hill Park:

http://www.hillparktiwibeach.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1183070-Tiwi_Coast_P…

In North coast, look Indiana Apartments

http://www.indianabeachkenya.com/

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

Hi,

Have a look at the 'FAQ - self catering apartments, budget hotels, guest houses, etc' on the Mombasa forum page there are quite few options in there

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294210-c193171/Mom…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

http://www.asinsholidayinn.com/

with swimming pool and restaurant,

-Asins also have another restaurant down the road

-Asins is based in diani

-just past the diani hospital and close to barclays and nakumat and other shopping centres,

-the beach is just across the road thro public path

-also leopard beach resort is also across the road for alternative swimming pool and restaurant facilities and beach and deckchairs for a small price

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

What do you think of Diani Palm Reef Hotel? it is quite reasonable but near the beach. I have read the review but need your opinion

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

I am looking for 2 nights at South Coast for 26 and 27 august. Are there any Beach hotels that have a large enough room that has 2 queen size double beds and roll-on bed so that we can all sleep in one room to make it less expensive?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

What? Are you serious ?

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive

@STEFANLARDA,, In the US almost all the hotels offer rooms with 2 queen size double beds that can accomodate 4 people but I guess it is not so in other countries. Most of the time we are out and about and we only use the rooms to sleep so why not?

I am only looking for maybe 2 nights it would be different if it was for a week? considering the rip-off prices the beach hotels are charging

Reply to: Tourist trip to Kenya is too Expensive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Coast Province