We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting worse ...............

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting worse ...............

heart-breaking to read .......http://www.nation.co.ke/news/4000-Coast-hotel-workers-home-as-tourism-takes-a-hit/-/1056/2321716/-/mbnp5v/-/index.html

...and its only the start ..................

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting worse ...............

wont get any better for a long while

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting worse ...............

Link...

nation.co.ke/news/…index.html

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting worse ...............

Sad news indeed for the staff losing their jobs. At the end of the day though again it is all down to their Gov not caring less, its ineptness, and almost total disregard for the tourist industry.

Obviously none of us knows where these terror attacks are going to lead or keep on coming but if it abates then the Kenyan gov should really have a big drive on to revive the sector. That i think should start with getting flight and hotel prices down for a year or two to bring people back in good numbers, not sure if they can do this but surely there are people a lot brighter than me who can work this out. It is the British, Americans and Europeans who have the spending power not the Chinese and Indians.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,151 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting worse ...............

I know it is bad and it is worse than usual, and I am desperately sorry for the people affected, I live amongst them and Wor Lass's little business depends on them, however so far only around 500 Brits have been taken home, most other nation's tourists who were here or were coming are still here or coming, so the advisories are not responsible for these headline figures.

Many hotels and restaurants close for low season anyway, for example Robertos and Giardino restaurants are closed, Yul's always closes for a month or so at this time, Monsoons is going to close for a month soon, these are all to do with low season not advisories. Most of the big hotels stay open, some lay off staff, others employ 'casuals' for busier periods but don't retain them through low season.The press was carrying similar stories about low occupancy, closures and lay offs weeks ago.

It is worse than usual but that is more to do with the steady decline of tourism at the coast over recent years, the advisories are the latest in a long line of factors. The advisories will have an effect if they are still in place when the low season ends.

Mohammed Hersi Chair of the Mombasa and Coast Tourist Association and CEO of Heritage Hotels has just tweeted these

Mohammed Hersi. ‏@hersimohammed 26m

FACT: Hotels in Malindi Watamu traditionally close in April to June so what is this hullabaloo about advisories made them to close?

Mohammed Hersi. ‏@hersimohammed 26m

No serious resort in Mombasa has laid off its permanent workers. We always have casuals just like in Europe .

The thing that is really annoying me is the view of many Kenyans including many in senior public positions that these advisories are some kind of childish spiteful revenge for the Chinese State Visit and deals signed during it, and that the UK and the US want to ruin the Kenyan economy because of jealousy. Apart from the US and the UK being mature democracies not little kids, the UK is the largest foreign investor in Kenya, no strings business investment, why would it want to ruin it's own business interests.

Rather than a knee jerk reaction 'stuff you we'll look elsewhere' attitude, the Kenyan Government should be working with the nation's who have issued the advisories to address the concerns, to take real active steps to address the security issues and to be seen to be addressing them, I'm not aware of any measures being taken here at the cost by anyone other than private businesses, such as hotels and shopping malls

My twopenn'th, and I feel better for getting that off my chest.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Malindi
Malindi
Coast Province, Kenya
Watamu
Watamu
Coast Province, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,356 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting worse ...............

Doff- I thought the government were just blaming the foreign advisories for over-reacting, but this sounds worse. Childish spiteful revenge for the Chinese state visit? Honestly?!! Pathetic.

What they need to be doing is stepping up security and looking like they are seriously tackling the issue so tourists might still have some confidence in visiting the areas that aren't affected by the advisories rather than avoiding the whole country.

Oh, and drop the 16% VAT so tourism businesses have a bit of room to offer discounts and incentives. I think (at least in the safari sector) this has been responsible for a lot of loss of tourism, probably mostly to Tanzania. So drops in tourism are not entirely down to the recent security issues, I think this just comes on top of a decline caused by the tax.

Mentioned in this post
Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting worse ...............

The "stuff the USA and Britain" message is being spread on social media by a dedicated group of trolls. I hate to bring tribe into this, but many of them have obvious Kikuyu names. Their language is so violent that it is hard to tell them apart from extreme Islamists.

It would be interesting to know if they are just frustrated, perhaps unemployed, people acting alone or if they are being quietly encouraged by some highly placed politicians or media moguls. We should remember that Kenya is a dysfunctional state, perhaps on the verge of a horrible failure, and the last act of many failing governments is to turn to propaganda and create external enemies.

The "million Chinese tourists" are a huge delusion, just like the "high tech" cities that are supposed to be sprouting up around Nairobi.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting worse ...............

good to see at least some one is thinking straight paul good on moh hersi

as for chinese tourists tge news reported 60 so far this year

8. Re: Getting worse ...............

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Coast Province