We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?

Napier
Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?

I'm visiting Sydney in February 2013 with an 11 month old baby whose maximum limit in a car before cracking it will be about 2 hours or so. I plan to do a guided coach trip to the Blue Mountains but will rent a car to see the coastal areas north of Sydney. My question is - what areas do you think have the most beautiful natural scenery? At the moment I'm considering going as far as Port Stephens - would you recommend concentrating our sightseeing in PS or are there other places you think are more beautiful closer to Sydney? Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?

When I saw the title I was going to suggest Canberra but... :-)

Btw, some babies sleep well in cars, I've heard some parents drive around just for that purpose, yours isn't like that? Also, what about renting a car for BM too, more flexibility and relaxation for you and less potential disturbance for fellow passengers, also I don't know but maybe easier to continue up to the coast instead of returning to Sydney to pick up the car?

Edited: 03 August 2012, 10:12
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?

LOL..I drove from Wagga to Jerilderie return to put GS to sleep as a 12 month old..the only person to want a snooze was me..

Def with Mac about the car to BMs..coach trips with littlies are awful

The other choice is to day trip the Grand pacific drive to the Gong (or beyond)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?

I agree with GW and would head south. Jervis Bay is closer than Port Stephens and there's heaps of great stops along the way including the Royal National Park etc. So you could just get as far as baby allows on the day/s. Heading north there's not that many enticing stops along the way, and even fewer that don't involve a substantial detour off your route.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?

I always loved driving up to Pittwater. Absolutely beautiful area and about an hours drive north of the city. Sit on the Pittwater side and have fish and chips...looking over the water. ... perfect. I have borrowed someones blog so you can see photos. ...http://thisisntsydney.blogspot.com.au/2007_12_01_archive.html

Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?

I agree - You should drive down the south coast instead! Wollongong (and beyond) has lovely coastlines & it's only an hour and a half out of Sydney. Maybe go to Kiama too.

Reply to: Best places to visit within few hours drive of Sydney?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Greater Newcastle