We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From HV to Hamilton Island

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
From HV to Hamilton Island

Question: how to get from Hunter Valley to Hamilton Island area. We would like to self drive from Sydney to HV so we can explore on our own, but do we have to go back to Sydney to drop car and get a flight? Or can we leave car and get flight near HV?

7 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From HV to Hamilton Island

My husband and son went from Newcastle airport, landed in Brisbane change planes then Brisbane- Proserpine as we were staying in Airlie Beach....you can get a direct flight though into Hamilton Island from Brisbane..

www.google.com.au/url…

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From HV to Hamilton Island

imo better to driver back to sydney and get a direct flight to HI

not only will that save mucking around with flight connections but will eliminate the one way car rental surcharge.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From HV to Hamilton Island

I'm with Lien. The changeover time in Brisbane (collect and recheck for Jetstar will equate to the drive back to Sydney, or be very close

Just make sure it isn't a first thing in the morning trip back to Sydney as that is the worst traffic time (along with late Sunday afternoon)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From HV to Hamilton Island

Too fiddly to fly from Newcastle. As the others say, unless you have an early morning flight, drive back to Sydney. Avoid possible one way drop off fees with the car, and have a better choice of flights, prices to Hamilton Island.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From HV to Hamilton Island

Ok thanks. Sounds like driving back to Sydney makes the most sense. Thanks so much for your help! We will try to avoid early morning as we will be traveling during the week.

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From HV to Hamilton Island

Why not train it from Sydney to Newcastle, rent your car in Newy (as it is known to locals), do your self drive HV tour, drop your car back to newy airport (no relocation costs despite being 20 min from town), then fly out of newy to Brissy & onto HI.

Eliminates what can be a 3+ hour drive back to Sydney Airport

Sure its 2 hours on the train, but parts of this trip you are within 10 feet of the water !!

Newcastle Airport far less crowded than Sydney - you wont get lost there !!

9 Flights a day between Jetstar, Virgin & Qantaslink to Brisbane from

as early as 0715 thru to around 2100 on weeks days.

I know what option i'd be taking !!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From HV to Hamilton Island

This sounds like a really appealing option.....I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

Reply to: From HV to Hamilton Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Greater Newcastle