We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vienna to Prague via Brno

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Vienna to Prague via Brno

I have to get from Vienna back to Prague, as my flight is leaving on Saturday morning. Originally, I was going to book a train directly from Vienna to Prague on Friday, but thought it might be nice to spend a few hours in Brno since I'm heading through there.

I've checked both OBB and IDOS, and I'm planning on buying the Vienna to Brno ticket online so I can get the cheaper price, but I'd like to be a little flexible with the second leg since I'm not sure how much time I will have to spend in Brno.

Will I be able to wait until I get to Brno to buy the ticket to Prague, or should I get it in advance?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague via Brno

Buy it in Brno - there is no advantage in buying it in advance. Also consider the bus for both legs which is cheaper, and also very comfortable. From Vienna to Brno it costs €8 (as opposed to €19 by train in advance from www.oebb.at )

For times and tickets see www.studentagency.eu

There are no significant traffic issues between Vienna and Brno, but between Brno and Prague the highway can be busy, however the trains are also subject to delays - on Thursday my train was delayed by 90 minutes, which was a bit of a bore, but I got there in the end.

Ideally Brno needs a long weekend as a minimum, but in a few hours you can see a few of the basic sights - here is a short itinerary I put together tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k2870…

Have fun!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague via Brno

Thanks, that's a great itinerary - I look forward to seeing the city! And I will wait till I get to Brno to buy the ticket to Prague.

3. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague via Brno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 05:17