We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thoughts on our first draft itinerary

bristol
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Topic
thoughts on our first draft itinerary

Hi all,

this is our first visit to the Czech Republic, so want to see more than just Prague. first draft itinerary is looking something like this:

days 1-6 Prague

days 7-9 stay in Ceske Budejovice and visit Cesky Kromlov and Trebon

day 10 - Pilsen

day 11 - back to Prague and home

Does that sound like a good plan or could you suggest improvements?

many thanks for your help.

Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

Ohhh you have much time thats great :)

First make yourself sure that 6 days in Prague isnt too much :) but you cann make in Prague your "basecamp" and make all your trips from there!

Czech republic is small country and Česky Krumlov and Plzen are great destinations for morning way there and evening way back to your accomodation in Prague ;)

Highway and railway system works in Czech rep like a sun where Prague is in the middle :) Im not sure about Trebon in your plan, but with Plzen and Krumlov I agree.

You cann go as well to Karlovy Vary (traditional spa in northwest) or Kutna Hora (one of middleages centers of this country). Sure you will like castle Karlštejn and chateau Konopiste where the prince of Austrian monarchy lived.

If you will like to go abroad Prague is perfect place where to start a wholeday trip to Dresden (for this buy international railway tickets online on https://www.cd.cz/eshop).

I think its good idea to stay in Prague and from there make all trips and in the evening come back to capitol.

If you will want to go to some destinations like Cesky Krumlov, Karlovy Vary or Plzen i would prefer the student agency buses (you cann buy tickets online). if you will go to closer destinations like Kutna Hora, Konopiste, Krivoklat or Karlstejn, buy RETURN tickets at the railway station. :)

Edited: 09 June 2011, 01:49
Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

Oh and I forgot there are two fairy tale chateaus if you will be for longer time in the south, its called Hluboka nad Vltavou and Orlik :)

bristol
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

Many thanks Milanek. Perhaps we will stay in Prague and take day trips from there.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

And if you run out of money and/or feel like some normality then guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jun/19/low-cost-f… 'friendlier, more laid-back and more fun than the capital' :)

Also home of the best beer in the country (Pegas) and some of the best pubs as well ...

Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

Your are welcome, if you will have questions about some concrete destination, just ask, Ill soon or later answer :)

Btw. Brno is nice true moravian (czech) city, but thats all ;) I know about hundreds better tourists destinations closer to Prgue :)

Edited: 09 June 2011, 14:46
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

You should read the last two paragraphs of that link ;)

Edited: 09 June 2011, 15:05
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,188 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

How's that song? Kdyby byla Morava ako su Cechy:)))

What I would do in your situation, I would stay in Prague for 6 - 7 nights and do a couple or more day trips by train/bus from Prague - look it up what interests you - Karlovy Vary, Terezin, Kutna Hora, Pilsen - some castles like Karlstejn, Konopiste, Krivoklat - then hire a car for 3 days or so, and drive to Cesky Krumlov - stop in Hluboka or Orlik, stay in Cesky Krumlov for 2 nights then drive back to Prague via (a big via) Trebon, Jindrichuv Hradec, Telc.

Best use of time.

Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

Owen car is allways great way how to travel :) If you will have your own car allready, than you should start seriously think about GCEK tips and go to south Morava.

Czech republic has three historically parts (Bohemia = Čechy on the west, Moravia = Morava eastern from Pardubice and Jihlava and Silesia = Slezsko in the northeast on border with Poland. :) We arent nationalists but everyone often protect his owen part :)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,188 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

I sent them to Telc didn't I - is not not enough for Morava?:)

bristol
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: thoughts on our first draft itinerary

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Still working on it.

Tilly - your suggestion is excellent, but we don't really want to hire a car, so would be travelling by bus/train.