We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
46 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

We can eat kocher meat and vegeterian food and want to eat home cooked up food while staying at hotels, travelling from Asian country to Prague, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Venice and Zurich. We want to carry canned food in our checked in luggage. We do not want to carry it in hand luggage. We are a family of four travelling together and want to carry 18 cannes of 1 lbs each of cooked up food

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,645 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

There are strict rules on what you can and cannot bring to the EU from outside....meat/non meat products.

You are attempting to bring over 30 kg of food ...you should declare it at your first entry to EU, and then it will probably be confiscated.

I would not bother taking the risk, there are plenty of halal restaurants all over Europe.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

Hi

There are plenty of Kosher restaurants in Prague.

Jackie

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,359 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

Also, even if you did bring your cans of food, how would you heat them up in a hotel room?

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
46 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

We are family of 4 travelling together having individual trolley bags . Each bag can carry 12 to 15 kg luggage. 4 cannes weighing 2kg altogether in each bag does not look too awkward? out of 20 kg weight allowance to each one of us?

Lastly when I visited in 2007 these food restrictions were not enforced and I managed to eat some at fast food outlets, some from supermarkets and few at asian & european restaurent, but in Switzerland I was totaly on fruits and home canned food.

we are on a 4 week holiday and will have 84 breakfast+lunch+dinner. We want to cut down the cost of tour as some of the towns I have selected are way too expensive like Switzerland (In Switzerland the Mcdonald meal costs 15 Euro per person).. In Switzerland I have booked hostels which are cheap and have combined kitchen to use. After all 4 weeks travelling is quiet long time.

But I have discussed with other friends in different city forums and as per their advise I have changed plans & will not carry canned food. Thanks

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
437 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

There are also Halal/Kosher shops in Prague. So if you did want tins whilst in Europe I'm sure it won't be difficult.

6. Re: Can we bring canned food in my checked luggage into EU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2013, 10:29