We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

Just do it!!

We have recently returned from a trip to the Czech Republic and it was the most wonderful experience. Apart from the beauty, scenery, history and character of the country, it was the people who made it so special.

Everyone we met and interacted with was happy, smiling, gracious and had a great sense of humour. One example was in Cesky Krumlov. After completing a castle tour I used the toilets, we then went to one of the cafes for lunch and a couple of beers. Within the hour I was back in the toilets (cheap bladder lol), the elderly gentleman who kept them spotlessly clean, pointed to me and then to his watch, as in "werent you just here?". I answered "Ano, Pivo", which had him chuckling and nodding. I then lined up behind a busload of asian tourists for the ladies. A few minutes later I hear "psst psst" and he is beckoning me to the mens toilet. He had put out a closed for cleaning sign, and stood guard outside while I was in there. Never had service like that before.

I can only reiterate information you will find on here, such as learn a few words/phrases of czech, my partner says everyone laughed and smiled so much because of my bad pronounciation and accent, but they were all happy to help me improve my language skills, and I believe they appreciated that I made the effort. Go with an open mind and heart, and you will have the most memorable holiday of your life.

I was not sure what to expect as a lot of what I read gave the impression the people were abrupt, rude or generally not service orientated. Our experience was the complete opposite, not just in Prague, Cesky Krumlov or other tourist areas, but also in places such as Klatovy.

Thanks to everyone who provides advice and help on this forum, it helped a lot in our planning.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

A nice story. Thanks for sharing, and glad you liked it here.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you had a nice time in Cz...;)

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

I know the man you are talking about and he is indeed a very lovely gentleman with a great sense of humor.

"Go with an open heart and mind" is excellent advice.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is very similar to my everyday experience of Cesky Krumlov but not everyone gets to see that side of the town.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

Thank you all for your feedback. I did cringe a bit after reading my post, it was rather gushy, but then it was how I felt about our time in CZ. Our trip was 6 countries in 8 weeks, and nowhere else came close to making us feel so welcome. We have travelled extensively, and this trip was about returning to our favourite places (CZ was my partners choice, this was my first time there), unfortunately some others were not so good this time around............but thats all a part of travelling.

I didnt want anyone to be put off by the few negative comments that are around. Oldriska, we had our favourite meal in Cesky Krumlov at a place beside the river called the Babylon Restaurant.

Guangzhou, China
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

hi friend,may I ask some adive?

I will travel in your country in Octorber and spend the frist 4 days in Prauge.Then I will head south to CK and Austria.

As a local resident,how many days will you suggest I spend in CK?

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

It depends on what you want to see. One night is a good amount of time for many people -- 2 nights are good if you want to relax more.

Guangzhou, China
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

thank you

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

Hi there, we are are two Kiwis (NZers) thinking of travelling to Czech Republic, Austria and Slovakia in October. My question is about rental cars. The train connections to some of the smaller places we would like to visit are not great (often involve multiple changes of train) so we were wondering about renting a car, but have heard that it is difficult to keep a rental car safe, find a park etc in Central/Eastern Europe. Do you have any advice about this? A car would make us a lot more flexible and able to visit the smaller towns but some people say that car theft is common. What do you recommend? Any advice about typical raffic levels and road conditions for people with no knowledge of these countries?

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

Instead of reviving a year-old discussion that doesn't even pertain to your question, you should start a new thread with your question. It's easy to do, and more people will notice it. Use a title like "renting cars and driving in Central Europe" or something like that. First, however, I would recommend searching the forums, as there have been a lot of discussions about this recently.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For anyone thinking of going to the Czech Republic.

Hey Wilma....thanks for sharing.....I am so glad to have come across your post at a time when I'm about to start research for my upcoming trip to the Czech Rep......your words are very encouraging. Glad you had a memorable holiday.