We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,607 posts
Save Topic
Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

For my collection of "off the beaten path music" I would like to buy some CDs with Czech rock/pop music during my upcoming visit to Southern Bohemia and Moravia. I will be on a study trip with a tight itinerary, meaning I'll have very little time to do things by myself.

Can anyone help me to easily find shops with a good assortment of Czech music in either Brno or České Budĕjovice? EIther in the centre/old town, or within walking distance from Best Western Hotel International (Brno) respective Clarion Congress Hotel (C.B.); I might also have time for a quick shopping tour during lunch break in Olomouc.

Is there a good chain of record/media shops I should look for, like for example Empik in Poland?

Also, can I expect shops in České Budĕjovice to be open on Saturday afternoon?

Many thanks in advance for any hints!

Mentioned in this post
Bohemia
Bohemia
Czech Republic
Moravia
Moravia
Czech Republic
Brno
Brno
South Moravian Region, Czech Republic
Clarion Congress Hotel Prague
Clarion Congress Hotel...
1,576 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Olomouc
Olomouc
Olomouc Region, Czech Republic
Poland
Poland
Europe
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,533 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Brno...Bontonland...center

náměstí Svobody 93/22

Brno-město

542 214 357

.another choice/location take the free buses to Olympia shopping mall..outside the center

In CB, you will just have to walk around the square..it is not big

Edited: 23 August 2013, 06:43
Mentioned in this post
Brno
Brno
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,607 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Thank you, that's very helpful. I will not have time to run off and visit a shopping mall, but Bontonland looks exactly like what I need.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

In Brno there are a couple of shops: Wolf Music on Dvořákova http://goo.gl/maps/gT4Kf and Indies on Poštovská http://goo.gl/maps/kX62f which has the best selection of alternative music - Brno is famous for its off the beaten path music and alternative rock scene - look out for classics such as Dunaj, Jablkoň, Iva Bittová, Pavel Fajt, etc. The people who work in the shop should be able to help you out and they should speak English so don't worry about any language barrier. There is also another place here opposite the Capuchin crypt http://goo.gl/maps/LBdZG but I think that is more local folk and country type music (again some not bad material)

Mentioned in this post
Brno
Brno
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Thank you GCEK! I have been doing a bit of research on Youtube and already found a couple of singers and bands that I like, so I'll come with a "shopping list" as my taste in music is a bit tricky to describe and tricky to meet. I'll look up those names you mention in your post. So far, Lucie Bilá and Argema have made the top of my list; I also like Bará Basiková a lot (but already own some of her music).

I'd prefer a self-service shop where I can dig my way through the shelves, as the language barrier is indeed a point - the first embarrassing problem might already be pronouncing the names of those bands, LOL.

If I want a collection of rock ballads, what would the Czech term be?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

OK - those are quite 'mainstream' things, so you should be able to find those at most CD shops, such as the one mentioned by Tejashombre above. Bontonland is self-service. There is also a self-service CD shop on the ground floor of Wagner at the top of Česká. Wolf and Indies cater for more alternative styles - check out the ones that I mentioned, there might be something that you like, and do some exploring from the associated links. Iva Bittová and her various projects is particularly interesting.

If you are not sure how to pronounce something, just write it down and they will be happy to help.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Mainstream in the Czech Republic but surely not in the Southwest of Germany. My neighbours had to get used to hearing Polish, Estonian, Swiss German and Malay stuff, time for something new.

I will check out your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Yes - this is why I put 'mainstream' in inverted commas :) It is certainly different from Schlager ...

The list of classics is huge, and for many of them you need a rudimentary knowledge of the language in order to appreciate them fully as the texts, rather than necessarily the tunes, play a very important part and are sometimes very well-written and clever.

If still available, check out Buty or Narvan (but the latter might be difficult to find), Psí Vojáci, Olympik or Progres are old but gold, Mňága a Žďorp are still popular, and then of course Helena Vondráčková who is still belting out the hits ... then there is a whole plethora of newer stuff which I sometimes dip into at random. Pavel Fajt is a genius drummer who has lots of different experimental projects on the go, some of which work very well, others which don't ...

Also lots of

Mentioned in this post
Olympik Hotel Prague
Olympik Hotel Prague
712 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,389 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Mňága a Žďorp....who are they:)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

They are great - used to be extremely popular in the early 1990s. They played once in Leeds in 1990 and slept on the floor of our student flat. We had no idea that they would play to crowds of thousands as their Leeds gig had about 20 attendees. This is probably their best known tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ePIm4_OxY

I didn't finish my contribution above - I've forgotten what I was going to write!

Edited: 23 August 2013, 12:45
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy CDs (Czech rock) in Brno or České Budĕjovice

Oh yes - there is Lucie of course (as opposed to Lucie Bílá) - a favourite stadium-filler, and offshoots such as Wanastowi Vjecy (I'm probably showing my age at all this :) )