We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Prague to the Alps

Prague, Czech...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Prague to the Alps

We are driving from Prague to the Alps: a 7 or 8 hour trip and we're looking to plan at least two stop overs while we go through Germany. Any suggestions? We will be going close to Plzen, Munich and Innsbruck but I'm not looking to get involved in driving through cities. We'll have our 2 year old with us so basically a nice stop to stretch our legs and eat some lunch.

Thanks!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Prague to the Alps

The total driving time is only 5-6 hours from Prague to Innsbruck. I've driven it many times. I usually stop twice - once at the Czech-German border at Rozvadov for lunch at McDonald's (there is a play area for the kids) and then once at the gas station/rest area on the German-Austrian border to get my Austrian vignette (don't forget!!!). That breaks up the trip nicely. I wouldn't get off the highway and go into a big city, though if you want a nice smaller city that is about halfway, you can stop in Regensburg. Or there is a small town on the right side of the highway just over the border into Germany called Vohenstrauß. I have never been, but every time I drive by I say to myself that it looks like a nice place to spend a few hours.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Prague to the Alps

Have a look at Tegernsee, just south of Munich, an interesting history and a lovely town..depends when you are going of course.

praha
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Prague to the Alps

We have sometimes stopped in Rosenheim, although most of the times we stick to the service stations on the motorway.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Prague to the Alps

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just did the drive from Prague to the Alps and realized I recommended the wrong town. The town that I have always wanted to stop at is Leuchtenberg, not Vohenstrauß. I still haven't stopped, so I can't say anything more about it than that it looks really pretty from the highway. Also, Nabburg, which is a few km south, bills itself as a historic town and is right by the highway.

praha
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Prague to the Alps

gotta be the one which looks like a small castle on the hill on the right side from the motorway shorlyt after entering Germany. Looks like a medieval town but have also never stopped there yet....

6. Re: Driving from Prague to the Alps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 07:16