We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling to Prague in mid April. We really enjoy a good beer and are looking for pub recommendations where we get a great beer and avoid a throng of tourists. We will be staying at the Hotel Residence Agnes and will not have a car, so we will need to be able to walk to the location. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
15,024 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

traditional Czech pub will have cigarette smoke...if that's not a problem, let us know

some optons with N/S areas

just around the corner from Agnes...tank beer, food if you like. Was just here last weekend.

http://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/en/#index

-----

also nearby in Namesti Republic

www.kolkovna.cz/index.php?show=photo&place=13

Goldn Tiger gets touristy but still local...you share a table with others, if there is no space-leave and come back...the bartenders don't take nicely to folks standing in their way. Here, they continue serving beer without being asked...so, when you're done-give some indication that you are finished. .

you really have endless choices....my tip..if you see pretzels on the table, then it is a tourists place...the pretzels aren't free!

Gus will be here shortly to give you his side

Edited: 30 January 2014, 06:59
praha
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

here is a poss, outside the tourist area, but about a 15 min walk from your hotel, or a tram form dlouha about 3 stops to florence

http://www.pivovarskyklub.com/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274707-…

Edited: 30 January 2014, 08:55
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

if you fancy a bit more of an adventure you could try this place.

praguebeergarden.com/czech-tours/post/unetic…

You would need to get a bus from Dejvicka but it is easy enough, the 8 or 26 tram from near your hotel will take you there in 10 minutes and the journey out to Unitice takes about 25 minutes (will cost about 25kc).Its a lovely place ,the food very good and the beer quite possibly the best Pilsner style beer I have ever tasted.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

If this is your first trip to Prague things at first may seem a bit immense with the windy streets and such, might take you a bit to get your bearings. I suggest close to your hotel first off, Lokal as mentioned is a great place and there is a small Irish pub, The James Joyce. English is spoken and Pilsner Urquell on tap really good food too,only 3 short blocks away from your hotel just off the rotary a stones throw from of the Speculum Alchmiae museum. I would recommend their English tour there quite interesting it is.

http://www.jamesjoyceprague.cz/

http://www.alchemiae.cz/en

Lots of killer pubs in Prague far too many to list, straight away I'd suggest checking out a few on the map and then clicking on the tram symbols to figure out the tram lines to/from. One can knock off quite a few pubs in a day riding the trams about.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

Thank you everyone. There are all wonderful suggestions. As this is our first time in Prague, in Europe for that matter, I have a few additional questions. One if the websites had "reservations" as a tab and it was the first one listed. Do most pubs require reservations? I would think not but I don't know. Secondly, you mentioned that " you sit with other people". How does this work? I am excited to do so but I barely know any Czech and do not know the manners of this. Thirdly, can we open tabs at the pubs with credit cards like in the US or should I be prepared to pay cash?

Thanks again!

praha
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

You do not need to reserve, the Pub capacity in Prague is very good.

Some tradition places have long tables, and if you see free seats yo ask the people nearby if its free? they will understand what you mean and will nod or say Ano. And then you sit down. There is no real duty to hold a conversation with strangers like there is in the US. It is not uncommon to sit next to people, you have exchanged greeting when you arrive, they say goodbye (naschledanou) when they leave, and that's it. On the other hand it could well happen that if they know some English they will love to try it out on you.

This way of seating is nowadays less common as traditional places get replaced by more modern establishments where you are expected to suit by your own table.

The more modern places often take cards, the traditional ones not. Be prepared to pay cash.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 13:37
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

At some of the busier pubs like U Medvidku you might need reservations at times but you are usually good just popping in. When the pubs have larger tables there may be others sitting around but that is no problem. The wait staff just keeps a little paper with marks on it for your beer so when you are heading out just pay up with cash. Best to us the ATM as not many like to take the credit cards.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

Thank you for letting me know about the cash. I rarely carry it in the US and wanted to check.

I would love to have someone try their English out on me. I am trying to learn some Czech but it sure is hard. :)

Smoking does not bother us but these are all great suggestions and I am sure that we will visit them.

Thank you

9. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 14:35
10. Re: Pub/Bar recommendations- off the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:20