We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

Hi Everyone,

I've actually been eyeing to visit the Czech Republic for quite some time now because I heard it's a beautiful country, especially about the wine baths and the European-style architecture. It's also renowned to be one of the cheaper countries in Europe in comparison to their Western European counterparts.

This might seem a bit too early but I'm planning to visit during the winter, which may be late November or early December. I was wondering if it would be difficult to get around if the locals in the countryside are unable to converse in English.

I'd like to ask about where are the places I am able to visit around the country. I really enjoy sightseeing and beautiful scenery but at the same time, somewhere not too rural.

Please advise on where to stay as well if I were to set my base in Prague. My budget is somewhere around CZK2000 (75 Euros / USD$101), preferably with a bath tub. Also, is dining out expensive in Prague? Whats the average price for a meal at a casual restaurant? I'd like to try out some of the local Czech dishes.

Lastly, I would like to ask if I should jump from country to country in Eastern Europe (i.e Hungary, Poland, Austria etc.) or should I spend all my 14 days in the Czech Republic?

Thanks in advance and have a great day ahead :D

Edited: 22 February 2014, 15:13
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

never heard of a wine bath.....more common is beer bath

14 days is too many days... typical combo is Budapest, Vienna, Prague.

While in Prague..you can visit Dresden Germany as a day trip...2hr by train.

go into Prague forum, in right column are topics about Prague..money, things to do etc.

away from the tourist area, food can be rather cheap...beer is cheaper than Coke.

google 'typical Czech food' and you can get a guide

also go to youtube...look up Prague...Rick Steves...lots of info.. check out video for Cesky Krumlov

young people speak enough English to get buy...lots of Asian tourists visit CK with no probs

between countries look at respective train companies...within Czech Rep. look at Student Agency Bus

Edited: 22 February 2014, 20:16
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

Hi tejashombre,

Thanks for your prompt reply and sorry for the late reply as I've been quite busy.

I think I might visit the Czech Republic, Hungary and Austria throughout the 14 days. Would it be a good idea to stay in Bratislava, Slovakia instead of Vienna? I heard hotels in Bratislava are comparably much cheaper. After all, it's only an hour's ride away from Vienna and we get to experience two countries at once. But I'm a bit worried if it may seem too ambitious to visit so many countries at one go.

I've browsed through Rick Steve's videos on both Hungary and the Czech Republic on Youtube. Thanks for the recommendation and thank you once again :)

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

Vienna is on the expensive side IMO but worth visiting. On the other side, Bratislava doesn't have a lot to offer when compared to Vienna and Prague. You could also stay in Brno (Czech) and travel to Vienna in 2 hrs.

I prefer Budapest over Vienna... if you decide on Budapest, a reasonable and nice hostel/place to stay is The Maverick. You should try the thermal spas for ex. http://www.szechenyifurdo.hu/

There are two sides to the city- Buda and Pest

You could spend a little time in Brno and make a day trip to Vienna. For ex. south of Brno is the town of Mikulov.--you can search images.

You can use a combination of bus/train service.

One ex. from Prague to Budapest you can purchase on line via the Czech rail. The cost is $25USD. Which I think is a good deal. This would be a non-refundable ticket in this case. Normally, if you buy a ticket that day or a few days before,you are not limited to a specific train time.

(most refer to the area as Central Europe rather than Eastern..just an FYI)

Edited: 01 March 2014, 05:38
Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

I'm a big fan of Bratislava, but you would be really short-changing yourself by staying there instead of in Vienna. It is nice for a day trip or a stopover on the way from Budapest to Prague, but it certainly can't and shouldn't replace Vienna as a primary destination on your trip. You can find cheap hotels in Vienna as well. Check out the Ibis budget hotels, like for example this one:

accorhotels.com/gb/…index.shtml

I stayed there during the weekend between Christmas and New Year's and was very satisfied (you can search and find my review). Rooms start at 45€, which is as cheap as you will find in Bratislava.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

Hi tejashombre and JeffinPrague

We are visiting in a party of 3 and we are deciding on just visiting Hungary, the Czech Republic and with Dresden in Germany as a day-trip instead because we prefer to take things slowly instead of rushing around to visit multiple places at once. Vienna / Bratislava also seems rather expensive in comparison and if Budapest is better, then we would just visit Budapest instead. Also, I have lengthened our trip to 15 days instead so we are given a bit more time for the day trip to Germany.

I also read up about the bus services between Prague and Budapest but they are a tad bit more expensive so I might go with the railway that tejashombre mentioned instead =)

I have found 4* accommodation in both Prague and Budapest at an average of €63 / US$87 per night throughout the 15 days - namely, Vintage Hotel Sax in Prague for 8 nights and Frasers Residences Budapest for 7 nights, but I'm unsure if these prices are okay if we are looking for 4* accommodation.

I've also read that an average meal in Prague costs around CZK85 - 150 and a mug of beer seems to be around CZK25 - 35, is that true?

This is somewhat off-topic but there are multiple flights flying to Prague from Singapore and there are a couple of options. The return flight from SIN - CDG - PRG - CDG - SIN operated by Air France costs around US$786 whereas the return flight from SIN - ZUR - PRG - ZUR - SIN operated by Swiss Airlines costs around US$876. It's a very long journey (around 15 hours) so I don't really want to compromise on comfort. Air France costs less than Swiss but according to Skytrax reviews, Air France isn't that good. Would it be better for me to take Swiss Airlines or Air France? :P

Thanks in advance and have a blessed day ahead.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 10:10
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

Edit: €56 / US$77.41 p/n for the hotel room

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274707-d2766…

Nothing wrong with Hotel Sax..if you are reasonably fit:)

Average half a litre of beer costs about 35 crowns, but could be much higher depending on the establishment.

Average meal prices you quote would mostly be for lunchtime specials.....which are great value

For air travel advice try Airline forum....there is nothing wrong with Air France or Swiss. Zurich airport is more organised than CDG so if I wasn't familiar with CDG I would prefer to go via Zurich.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 12:54
Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

I agree with what Tilly says about the airlines. Air France is fine as an airline, but CDG is chaotic. If your connection time is long enough, you should have no problem, but if you are cutting it close then you should think twice about CDG.

Regarding meal prices, you should expect to pay more than you quoted, which are, as Tilly says, mostly for lunchtime specials. It all depends on what type of restaurants you go to. Expect to pay between 200 and 300 CZK per person including drinks for normal restaurants.

Definitely take the train between Prague and Budapest. The night train is very convenient, or you can take the day train and make a 3-4 hour stopover in Bratislava, which is enough time to see the Old Town and the castle.

Here are some other hotels to consider that should be in your price range:

garzottohotels.cz/en/…

http://www.kampagarden.cz/en/

http://www.goldhotel.hu/

I often stay at the Gold Hotel in Budapest, and friends have stayed at the Hotel Residence Mala Strana and the Hotel Kampa Garden and were very satisfied. All have great locations.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

Hi Tilly41 and JeffinPrague,

Thank you for your prompt replies. I think I might browse through some of the other hotels for now since I still have a lot of time to do some "treasure hunting" :D There are many great hotels in Prague that are within my budget so I'd have to take a look and compare the location, comfort etc. and yes, I might take Swiss Airlines instead of Air France if CDG is chaotic. I've been to ZUR last year and the airport seems less chaotic and more organised.

I have checked out the hotels that JeffinPrague listed but I'm still unsure and I may wait several months until the winter offers pop up. Once again, thank you for your recommendations :D

I might be visiting somewhere during late November and early December, where the prices of hotels and flights are still quite low before they skyrocket for the winter. Will there be snow by then and what will the temperatures be like?

I'm deciding to stay in the Czech Republic for 8 days before heading to Hungary for the remaining 7 days.

Besides Cesky Krumlov and Prague, are there any other must-visit places whilst there?

Thanks in advance and have a great day ahead.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 16:03
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about visiting the Czech Republic

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k25645…

some good suggestions by tur domaci