We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week for Prague, Vienna, and Budapest - how may days each?

Raleigh, North...
1 post
Save Topic
1 week for Prague, Vienna, and Budapest - how may days each?

I'm looking a trip package with 3 full days in Prague with a night train to Vienna on the third day, then a full day in Vienna, then morning train to Budapest the next day followed with one full day in Budapest, then fly home.

I'm traveling with my wife and 7 year-old daughter. I am a little concerned that the package is keeping us in Prague too long and giving us only one and a half days each in Vienna and Budapest.

I could set up the itinerary to leave Prague a day earlier; that would give us two full days each in Vienna and Budapest along with the two full days in Prague to start the trip. This seems like a more even distribution of time among the cities - but of course does not take in account the proportion of sight seeing value each city may offer.

I expect that the package itinerary is well-thought out time-wise, but on the other hand I think it might be less disruptive for us to get two full days in each city before we have to pack our stuff up and head to the train station.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,336 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week for Prague, Vienna, and Budapest - how may days each?

My option would be either to drop one of the cities or extend my holidays by a couple of days.

If you think the package itinerary is well thought out time wise, think again. You could also drop any bought packages and do the trip yourself..buy a flight, book hotels and train travel..will probably work out cheaper, but that's a guess.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week for Prague, Vienna, and Budapest - how may days each?

You need at least three days in each of the above-mentioned cities to "do it justice". In that amount of time, it is impossible to give each city the time it deserves. So if you are fine with doing one justice and then just scratching the surface of the other two, then the breakdown that the tour company has is good. If you want to just scratch the surface of all three, then cut a day out of Prague. It is up to you, but I would try to do at least one city justice and give it the time it deserves, and I would vote for Prague getting those days. Unless you love museums, in which case I would spend the time in Vienna, which rivals Washington DC for amount and quality of museums.

I would also recommend pricing a trip if you did it on your own. I think you can save a lot of money. Package tours might have been a good idea before the internet made it possible to research, plan and book on one's own, but nowadays they are really only for a select few people who have money to burn or are unable to find their ways around the WWW.

3. Re: 1 week for Prague, Vienna, and Budapest - how may days each?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18