We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Budapest train tickets

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Prague to Budapest train tickets

Has anybody purchased train tickets from the cd.cz/eshop website from Australia and found that it is all legitimate and OK to travel with these tickets? Most Australian sites appear to be twice the price of booking directly with the Czech train company.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,010 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

to the contrary, it is really the only way to purchase for the best price...

on line and in advance from Czech rail can be as low as $25 USD pp

for the special price, you select a specific travel time...... if you miss the train you're SOL, non-refundable

don't use the likes of RailEurope

Edited: 31 March 2014, 11:38
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

You are buying from the Czech Railways, who run the trains. Of course its cheaper.

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

Yes, I realise it would be cheaper, my concern is buying tickets when I live in Australia. Are you aware of any issues with purchasing outside of the Czech Republic?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

Absolutely no issues - it is the only place to buy a legitimate ticket at a legitimate price. Just print the ticket off at home for free. What issues did you anticipate?

Don't let yourself be ripped off by re-sellers!

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

I was concerned that as it was so much cheaper than Australian websites that I might not be getting the real thing being an Australian citizen. From the replies that I have had, it appears that I don't need to worry and should buy my tickets direct and save over 50% on the cost.

Thanks to all those who responded.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,010 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

system can be a little persnickety your first time through..

FYI, when it ask for id#, it is asking for your passport #....

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

It is the same with all tickets in Europe - go straight to the operators and print the tickets off at home, saving $$$ over what Australian travel agents try to peddle. Likewise passes - usually a huge waste of money and more trouble than they are worth.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

Hi JanniK58, I was thinking exactly the same as you. The difference in price is staggering so you think there must be a catch. So did you buy the rail tickets without any problems? I have purchased on TrenitaIia before, and it was quite easy. I am looking to buy tickets for next October but I know I will have to wait until about July. If you have already travelled, did you go 1st or 2nd class? Any tips?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,998 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

What Australian website are you looking at!....Czech railways (web in the OP post) is the local train operator...the site is perfectly legit and the only one which should be used for this connection.

The site sells only 2nd class tickets...not 1st...could change though. (60 days in advance of travel)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague to Budapest train tickets

The only catch is with the expensive re-sellers and travel agents. As long as you have a valid card and money in your account, anybody can buy the tickets at the discounted proper price. Even if you buy on the day at the full price it will usually be quite a bit cheaper.

1st and 2nd class are usually very similar in terms of comfort, the main difference in the summer is that 1st is used by tourists travelling on overpriced passes sold to them by US/Australian travel agents :)