We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

Hi ! me and my family, 4 of us, will be traveling to Czech (and hungary, austria) this december for 12 days (1-12DEC), therefore we r thinking of renting a car to save time. But the question is do u think it's possible to drive in such weather ?

Thanks for the help :)

Cheers !

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

If you are not used to driving in snow then I would not do it....the roads may be totally clear and free of black ice but that time of the year you never know.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 17:09
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

Thx so much Tilly41 !

I have one more silly question to ask u ><. Do you have any city you recommend to visit in winter (beside Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Karlovy Vary, Olomouc)

Thank you so much ! :)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

Lots of people visit Kutna Hora.......Terezin, Lidice..

Edited: 26 June 2014, 17:51
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

I am soooooooo glad Rebecca suggested that you visit Lidice. It is a "place", which most tourists bypass, but it is so very important, and the events surrounding it must never, ever be forgotten.

http://www.lidice-memorial.cz/default_en.aspx

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

and it's simple to get there from Prague on public transport.....and it's open during the winter (except some days over Xmas)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

Brno of course - great Xmas market, but, like most other cities in Central Europe, not particularly car-friendly. Parking is going to be your main problem, especially in larger cities. If hiring in Germany (but I don't think you will be) make sure that you are allowed to take the car into Czech Republic/Austria/Hungary.

You will need winter tyres - make sure they are fitted.

If you are just going to cities, consider using trains/buses, which would certainly be cheaper and probably quicker as well.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

Of course it's possible to drive, but as said above, it depends on how experienced you are with winter driving. The roads could be snowy or icy, although it is not very likely at that time of the year.

Here is my top recommendation for a day trip from Prague - ideal if you have a car:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274684-i94-k75035…

8. Re: Is it ok to drive in December in Czech ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:16