We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

We are going to be driving from Leipzig to Jicin and then on to Olomouc in August; I have heard that we will need a "vignette" for any toll roads. Where do we get one, how much are they and which roads do we need it for?

Any other tips, eg etiquette at roundabouts, parking quirks (in Canada we got caught out because we parked AGAINST the flow of traffic) etc etc

Diesel prices?

Many thanks

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,979 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

rac.co.uk/travel/…

lots of good advice, plus you need your headlights on all the time, do not park against the flow of traffic, vignette are necessary for all motorways..buy on the border, keep to speed limits all the time, no drink driving.

http://www.motorway.cz/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

Thankyou, good sites!

LB

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

You should be able to pick up the vignette at gas stations in Germany near the border as well.

Otherwise, my number one piece of advice if you are going to drive in a Czech city is to watch out for trams. The almost always have the right of way (assume they do), they don't like to stop or slow down for cars, and they are bigger than you and will do more damage to your car than you will do to them.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,982 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

this article may be of interest to you.

http://www.livingprague.com/driving.htm

Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

Hi Guys,

We will be entering the Czech Republic from Poland. Driving from Warsaw to Prague and staying there for 4 days. Where can I purchase a Vignette on the Polish-Czech border? Will I get fined if I enter the Czech Republic and purchase one at the first gas station? Any help would be greatful.

Cheers

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

Driving from Warsaw to Prague you will almost certainly take a route through either Liberec or Nachod - anything else is a big detour. On either of these routes, there is a significant stretch of non-highway driving before you get to the Czech highways that require a sticker, so no problem to get the sticker at a gas station after you cross the border. Check out this map:

http://www.motorway.cz/image/map_large.gif

Coming via Krakow is a different story - there it is all highway from the border. In that case, it is a risk to wait till the first gas station inside the CR. Better to buy from a gas station in Poland or at a kiosk at the border.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,979 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

The last time I did the trip, I went through Ostrava...you can buy the vignette at the last stop almost right on the border in Poland.

Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Oooops, just had a another look at our itinerary, my mistake, we ARE driving from Krakow to Prague, but that has been answered by Jeff. Are the kiosks you mention pretty evident when you approach the Polish border with CR? Also, are the signs on the Polish side clear enough to know that you are approaching the border?.....sorry, first time on both places.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

That's the route that Tilly described - through Ostrava. I haven't driven it myself, but I imagine they will be very visible, as they are on all borders. Or you can stop at a gas station on the Polish side - they will certainly sell Czech vignettes.

Europe
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Czech Republic; anything we should know?!

Let me just add that I have been living in the region for 6 months using a car and I must add warning for the local driving culture, it is probably total deferent from what you are used to in your country (I have been driving in the UK as well).

I found the drivers are rather aggressive, over speeding is common as well as risky over taking sometimes. So just drive patient and be extra careful on the roads. I also recommend avoiding as much as possible driving at night in unfamiliar roads.

Make sure you learn your map and possible stop over points, best in this region are the small towns and villages where you can also have excellent lunch break with local food very cheap as well. If you have time visit Olomouc, I think it is beautiful city, one of my favourite in CZ.