We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mini breaks in CZ

praha
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
mini breaks in CZ

some ideas for places to visit

expats.cz/prague/…

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,785 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mini breaks in CZ

Černé Jezero, the only place on the list I've not been....thanks for posting

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mini breaks in CZ

Thanks for posting that article. Some interesting tips. I haven't been to Machovo or Cerne Jezero. I've been to Lipno in the winter for skiing and am on my way there today for four days of summer relaxation. Luhacovice is great, especially the Augustine Hotel. Talk about pampering one's self!

Edited: 02 July 2014, 07:15
praha
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mini breaks in CZ

havent been to cerne jezero either, perhaps because it says its a rather strenuous hike :-)

was at Machavo last weekend for a brief visit, was surprised how peaceful it was - school holidays had not started yet though , not sure what its like july and august but I avoid most touristy places this time in the year anyway

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mini breaks in CZ

The hike to Černe jezero is an easy walk! You can park your car at Špicacke sedlo and then walk - it is easy even for families with strollers or small children - one of the easiest in Sumava - the hard part comes, when you want to continue to Čertovo jezero - another beautiful lake, but you have to climb a steep hill to go there.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 09:30
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,785 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mini breaks in CZ

I was told that under the regime, places like Cerne Jezero were only accessible with a special STB permit because it was so close to the border., i.e. only politically reliable people were allowed access. Is that right?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mini breaks in CZ

It was pretty much restricted to go anywhere near the border - I remember going ¨to Sumava with my classmates on a field trip - suddenly out of nowhere from the woods about half a dozen armed soldiers emerged and asked for our ID cards...we were monitored kilometres before the border area.

Oh yes, "sweet memories" :)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,785 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mini breaks in CZ

My friend's granddad used to go fishing somewhere near the lake...for a catfish(?) I think

Interesting times.....

praha
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mini breaks in CZ

the reason the borders were so carefully watched was to prevent people from the horrioble west escaping into paradise in the east, there would just be too many immigrants here

Edited: 02 July 2014, 14:40
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,785 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mini breaks in CZ

lol....so obvious

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mini breaks in CZ

oh no! we were preparing for the bad imperialist to attack us and start WWIII - really, I remember that we even had a subject at school, where we learned how to behave during an attack ....that was my childhood!

I am that old LOL