We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

San Jose, Costa Rica
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

I'm planning a trip to Prague on December, I'll be staying for 3 days and then head to Vienna by train.

1) Should I book the train tickets in advance, or just buy them when I get to Prague?

2) If I buy them in advance how much time ahead is recommended?

3) Is it safe to buy them from this website http://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm#

thanks for your help!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

Buy them in advance (two months before your travel date is when they are available). The price is as low as 19 Euros (converted to KCZ by the Czech rail website ---- www.cd.cz .

When you get to the website, go to the eShop and click on international tickets. The ticket is immediately e-mailed to you.

Note: they will ask for an ID number. I always use my passport number. When you hand your ticket to the conductor, be sure to also give him/her your passport. The Czech conductors are rather strict in making sure that the correct person is using the ticket, so they verify the number.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

Thanks Castleblanca! You've been very helpful, I appreciate it.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

https://www.cd.cz/eshop/default.aspx

English 'en' top right

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
52 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

We are planning a trip in october to vienna and would go to prague via train. What is the difference in cost if the ticket is bought on the same day rather than in advance?

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
52 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

We are planning a trip in october to vienna and would go to prague via train. What is the difference in cost if the ticket is bought on the same day rather than in advance?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

If you buy your ticket at the last minute, the price is about 3 or 4 times more expensive.

Trust us, here at TA, we travel this route all the time, and we all buy our tickets over the internet at the Czech rail website.

And here is something interesting and "strange": If you start your journey in Prague and go to Vienna, the price from the Czech rail website is 19 Euros. However, if you start your journey in Vienna and go to Prague, you must buy your ticket on the Austrian rail website, and the price is 29 Euros.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

If Wi-Fi is important to you, get the bus www.studentagency.eu €18 or www.westbus.at/en €22 these prices don't change, there is more availability on the former last minute.

8. Re: Travel by train from Prague to Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16