We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our time in cesky krumlov

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Our time in cesky krumlov

We visited Cesky Krumlov on way from Vienna to Prague and were glad that we spent one night here. The town is a treasure and a wonderful break from all the tourists and crowds. The day we were there was nice and quite and we spend our time walking slowly and visited the castles. We stayed in Castle View Apartments on the top floor and it was extremely quaint and comfortable but I thought if there was fire, it would be a death trap. Anyway, we had dinner across the road, two steps really, and shared our table with another couple. We had a great time and would recommend either a day trip or better still an overnight.

We caught student agency bus to Prague which I would not recommend due to the lack of security with the cases under the bus and their rudness towards passengers. The service is advertised as express but it's not and stops about 6 times on the way to Prague. That is my only complaint.

pierson
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Has "Student Agency" added more stops on this route? Their website lists only two stops (Ceske Budejovice and Pisek) between Cesky Krumlov (Spicak Station) and Prague.

ČESKÝ KRUMLOV, AN 07:00 11:00 15:00 19:00

ČESKÝ KRUMLOV, Špičák 07:05 11:05 15:05 19:05

ČESKÉ BUDĚJOVICE, AN 07:35 11:35 15:35 19:35

PÍSEK, AN 08:25 12:25 16:25 20:25

PRAHA, Na Knížecí 09:45 13:45 17:45 21:45

Could the "rudeness" be cultural? Would you be more specific for those who might use this bus?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Hi Timekane,

Definitely stopped more than twice, 100% positive. They showed a movie after we finished picking others up from various places.

My main concern isn't even the rudeness, I had read forums here where others complained but I have to say we didn't encounter any rudness anywhere else in Prague. One thing that bugged me was when we pulled into the main bus station in Prague I did ask where the nearest metro was and the girl said she didn't know and walked away. I then asked the second girl, same answer. The metro is there right at the bust station, just down the stairs right maybe 20 metres away.They then started speaking and laughing probably about us. Thankfully other more helpful people came to our assistance.

The main problem was the security with the luggage. At the start of the journey we had loaded our cases and my husbands backpack under the bus, he then decided that he would like to keep his back pack with him. He got off the bus picked up his backpack and got on the bus again. No one questioned what he was doing and the two girls attending the bus didn't even glance his way. He could have taken anyones belongings. I was very stressed and worried that my cases would still be there. It would be very easy for someone to help themselves.

I had just come from Italy and travelled 2nd class on a couple of journeys. I had to put my luggage into storage at the back of the carriage away from where we sat. I was told to stay with the cases until the train pulled out from the station, it is not unheard of that people jump onto the train near the luggage and just before the train is due to pull out they grab cases and throw it to others wainting on the platform who catch them. If you were'nt watching you wouldn't even know that your luggage had disappeared. I had visions of this on the bus. They need to tighten security around the luggage. This is a problem maybe personally with me but I wouldn't catch a bus again for this reason, blow the rudness.

Otherwise our time in Cesky Krumlov and Prague was excellent, the people were friendly , the food was good, the city is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen and we had a wonderful time.

Regards, Lily.

pierson
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Thank you for your detailed response. Over the decades I have also had many of your concerns about luggage safety, especially in southern and eastern Europe. However over the decades I have been robbed once and met others that have been robbed riding the train even from Germany to Amsterdam; people planning a trip should read such web pages as http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/theft.htm and www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/298scam.htm . I tell people to get a reserved seat on the right side above the luggage compartment of the "Student Agency Bus" (and other long distance buses as well) so that they can monitor what luggage is removed by people during intermediate stops. Some of their web pages indicate that they sell luggage insurance on their longer journeys although I have seen no evidence of it on the shorter journeys.

Although I studied German for over two years in high school, I know that some European responses can seem rude and abrupt to English ears even when one has a basic knowledge of the other language. Once I went to the Information Desk in a hospital in Lubeck (where one would expect employees to have a symphathetic tone for visitors who might not be feeling well) and was greeted with,"What do you want?" in a tone that sounded like an angry giant/witch out of a fairy tale! I always tell tourists to ask the same question of several people and take the average of the answers. In some cultures people are embarrased if they do not know the answer to a question so they guess at the answer to avoid "losing face." As one visits countries that discouraged travel under Communism with few and confusing signs, it is even more important to be well prepared so you know in advance the answers to basic questions. For example, it helps to print out all of the stops on a train journey since several train stations, even in a small town, may have similar names; I have almost gotten off at the wrong station numerous times even after I asked others on the train if it was the correct stop. Also be aware that in many of the former Commuinist countries, many workers who "meet the public" even 20 years after the Velvet Revolution still consider customers as an interruption to their day instead of the reason that they have a job. Just consider it a part of the "adventure" of travel.

I have felt much safer in small European lodging than I do on the 20th+ floors of new multi-million dollar hotels in Los Angeles and other large "Western" cities realizing that no "hook and ladder" fire truck can reach that high in an emergency when a single stairway is my only option. As with any lodging it is very important to count the doors to any hall stairways and fire extinguishers and know where the fire alarms and fire sensors are located as soon as you check-in; your life may depend on it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Yes, you are absolutely correct, but travel is about living and learning and next time making decisions will work better for us. I don't like being seperated from my luggage and in future will try and avoid circumstances where this would happen. Cheers.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Hi

I just returned from Prague and took the Student Agency bus to Cesky Krumlov. There were two stops before Cesky Krumlov and a stop for gasoline. I did not encounter any rudeness from the staff. I did sit on the right side of the bus but was not able to see what was going on in the luggage area. When opened the doors covered my window. I was not concerned about luggage because I only had a small carry on. When I travel by train I bring a bicycle style lock and secure the bag to the rack so I don't worry about someone accidently taking my bag. Also I had some dificulty finding the bus station in Prague as I went out the wrong way at the Andel metro station. I knew it was nearby but was amazed that 3 different people did not know where the bus station was or they just did not understand me. The bus trip was very pleasant.

Gbow

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Thanks for the report-back. Taking the wrong exit at metro stations is a common mistake and one that I often made in my early trips to Prague. The stations are well signed but the trick is to stop and look as soon as you exit the train. Its very tempting to just get off and follow the flow blindly up the escalator, but by then it's too late!

How was the rest of your trip?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Vauxaholic

I plan to write a trip review soon for Prague and Cesky Krumlov.

Gbow

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

Glad you enjoyed Castle View - they really are pretty rooms. You know, you're right about it being a death trap if there was a fire (had not thought of that before). What did you have for dinner across from there (cannot recall the name of the restaurant)? We've eaten there many times.

Cesky Krumlov is such a charming little place - good thing you spent the night. People who do it on daytrips miss out on so much in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Cesky Krumlov
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

As the manager, I would like to respond to one of the recent Cesky Krumlov forums where the issue of fire safety at Castle View Apartments was raised. The following paragraph is taken from the Castle View Aprtments Homepage at accommodation-cesky-krumlov.castleview.cz/:

Unlike almost all of the other accommodations in Cesky Krumlov, we have taken extraordinary precautions for your safety. Castle View Apartments is less than 50 meters from the town police department. Our building is directly connected to the local fire department that can be here in only five minutes. All apartment room doors are solid wood; each of the seven main apartment doors has a fire protection of 30 minutes since there is a full metal plate in the door. There are fire sensors in every apartment with a loud alarm above the building's front door that is activated in case of fire. Fire extinguishers are located in halls which also have lighted directions to exits.

Jiri Vaclavicek, Cesky Krumlov.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our time in cesky krumlov

I agree - when I responded to the original poster all I personally meant was that fire could happen anywhere, not just at your place. I would never, ever let that perception prevent me from staying at Castle View again - it is my favourite place in Cesky Krumlov and I LOVE it. I have also recommended it to many, many people. The issue of fire never even enters into my mind when I travel!

Get answers to your questions about Cesky Krumlov