We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes using the train

Amersfoort, Holland
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes using the train

I wonder if there are any walk from station to station. Looking at the timetable of the train travelling from CK to Horni Plana, I see most stations are only about 5 km apart. Does anyone know if there is a guide book (e.g.) outlining walks from station to station? We do have them in Holland and they are very practical.

We are looking for easy hikes we can do on a day. We stay in CK, in August.

Böhmen
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes using the train

The Czech Republic has the densest network of marked hiking trails in the world. All railway stations in the region you are interested in must inevitably be connected to the hiking trails network and, as such, are connected to other railway stations nearby. Another thing is, of course, how exactly they are connected, but that is up to you to figure out.

The entire country is covered by very good 1:50.000 hiking maps, all showing all the marked hiking as well as cycling trails. You can buy these maps in just about any bookshop or tourist information centre in the country.

You can also buy them online from here: eshop.kct.cz/index.php…

Maps relevant for you are covering the Sumava region (page 7 in the e-shop list).

Edited: 06 February 2011, 17:04
Amersfoort, Holland
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes using the train

So it's just a matter of buying the right map en choose a route from station to station. Thanks!

Böhmen
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes using the train

Exactly.

Amersfoort, Holland
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes using the train

Any recommandations? Or is it just as beautiful everywhere in Sumava?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,349 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes using the train

I don't usually hike much but have done one on this route.....I would not stop anywhere not even in Horni Plana (not very interesting) but would stay on the train for a few more stops until Stozec. Make sure you tell the conductor that you want to get off, the train does not always stop unless there are passengers.

There is an information centre in Stozec to get a map of local hikes. The one that I've done went in a circle (about 7 kilometres) to Stozecka Skala (Stozec Rock ) - and then back to Stozec for the train.

Remember that in Cesky Krumlov, the station is quite a way from your accommodation, maybe an hour walk.....!

Amersfoort, Holland
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes using the train

Thanks, that's a nice train trip too. I know about the location of the train station. But we like trains more than buses.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,349 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikes using the train

I sent you a private message with the map of the hike

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikes using the train

Two suggestions to add to the very good suggestions already made here:

1) If you want to do a simple, quick hike near Cesky Krumlov without needing to take the train, you can go to the Chapel on the Mountain of the Cross - it's right above the town and has a beautiful view. You can then wander the trails a bit from there.

…ckrumlov.cz/docs/en/mesto_histor_kapkrh.xml

2) Another really great and very near-by hike is the Maidenstone Castle. The rail stop in Trisov (Třísov, spelled with Czech letters) is right next to the trailhead. The castle ruins are very neat, and the hike is through a pleasant valley. I would plan your train trip ahead so you don't have a long wait for the train. The only caveat I would add is that it's an easy hike - so if you are thinking you can handle the Šumava Mountains, don't expect this one to leave you breathless.

ckrumlov.info/docs/…region_histor_divkam.xml

As Stammichmann mentioned, the Czech Republic has an amazing trail network. If you would like to get maps of the trail network, an easy thing to do is go to this site...

www.mapy.cz

...then click the option for Turistické trasy, and voila, you can make yourself a trail map for anywhere you want to go.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,349 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikes using the train

Since you did not ask but would consider a train journey the other way towards Ceske Budejovice - 4 stops, 20 minutes - village Holubov.

There is a chair lift to the top of Klet - the bottom of the lift is about 2 kilometres from the railway station.....you can take the lift up and walk back if you want.There is a restaurant on the top - and views.

http://www.holubov.cz/lanovka-klet/

the timetable is not updated for the next summer, but don't worry about that - that's their highest season.

Amersfoort, Holland
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hikes using the train

That's a good idea, thanks, we'll definitely go there.

Liesbeth