We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

What is the quickest route from Cesky Krumlov to Linz?

Via the 160/161/128

Or

Via 15/3/310(E55)

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

We go usually by this way:

Kaplice, Dvořiště, Freistadt (very nice place), Linz

If you want to plan the route in Czech Republic, better to use www.mapy.cz than Google maps (sorry).

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,305 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

theaa.com/route-planner/…

AA route planner is also very good....

As Hana says, Kaplice, Dvoriste (E55) is the usual way, and I expect the Krumlov shuttles take this route.

But, if you want to see other parts of southern Czech Republic then take the other route via Rozmberk and Vyssi Brod....a lovely drive mostly alongside Vltava river, then cross the border at Studanky.

In terms of driving, both distances are about the same, but as a tourist you will find Kaplice route easier to navigate. Depends on the time of day, the weather and how good you are with maps:)

discoverczech.com/ceske-budejovice/rozmberk.…

ckrumlov.info/docs/…region_histor_klasvb.xml

Trebon, Czech...
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

Hi,

Driving Kaplice, Dvoriste and E55 to Linz you need austrian highway vignette (there are no tolls on the way) - last part of route is on the highway. You need it even for driving highway inside Linz city. You can easily buy it in CR in fuel stations or in Austria.

dalnicni-znamky.com/en/vignette-highway-toll…

As Tilly wrote, route via Rozmberk (nice castle) and Studanky (border) is nice and you dont need any vignette (except mentioned highway inside Linz).

Edited: 20 April 2012, 22:38
Cesky Krumlov...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

It is cheaper to buy the Austrian vignette at one of the Austrian fuel stations, where they really charge you 8 EUR (~200 CZK) for the 10 day vignette. The price at Czech fuel stations ranges from 250 to 300 CZK (~10 - 12 EUR) - at least in Cesky Krumlov.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll take the E55 route since I want the fastest and easiest route. I was planning to buy the Austrian vignette at the first service station after crossing the border.

That mapy.cz website does seem to highlight the major routes on the map better than Google maps. Nicer cartography like a road atlas. Too bad I don't read Czech...

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

Enjoy your trip to Czech Republic.

If you need anything, we will be pleased to help you.

Best regards

Hana

7. Re: Driving from Cesky Krumlov to Linz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Cesky Krumlov