We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
39 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

...as a day-trip from Prague.

We walked from the train station to the Ossuary, which was easy. My wife and I had hoped to take the 'tourist van', parked outside the Ossuary, to the cathedral/town. However, they need at least 3 riders before it goes. They offered us the choice of paying for 3 (105 CZK) but we decided to walk instead.

BAD IDEA. Your available energy is precious - don't squander it by doing this long, mostly uninteresting walk. Take the shuttle. Enjoy the Mine tour and other sights, then take a taxi back to the train station. You're on vacation.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,701 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

on my recent visit, the folks at the bone church graciously rang a taxi for us as the shuttle was already booked for a group

----

if the weather is nice and your not in a hurry walking is fine..

Edited: 14 November 2013, 14:57
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
39 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

Ah, we were never given the option of calling a taxi - that makes sense. We were told to either pay for the full van or walk, and, in retrospect, I wish we had just paid for the van instead of expending precious (limited) tourist energy on walking.

True, the walk ^was^ interesting once we got close to the Center, but after walking, the Mine tour (which was very good) and visiting the cathedral, we were very tired and, had we not done that long morning walk, we would have enjoyed strolling around the center before the taxi back to the station.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
431 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

Public transport bus F01 from nearby the ossuary takes you to the town (stop called Centrum) for 12 kč per person. We used that to get to the town center and also back to the train station.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
39 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

I wish the folks at the Ossuary had mentioned this possibility, too.

santa rosa
Level Contributor
4 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

The town bus from the bone church was only 12 kc (60 cents american). The tourist info and train station will give you a free map of the bus route.

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

The local bus is just as easy. It stops at all the main attractions. Make sure to stop in the information booth when you get to the train station. The attendant there will give you a map and circle the stops that you need to get on/off the bus at. It was simple. You just have to have a little patience.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

We couldn't find driver of the tourist bus and didn't see any regular buses so we got a taxi and as there was 4 of us it only cost 10 Czech crowns more than the tourist bus.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
775 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

How much was the taxi?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,701 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

less than 200..probably closer to 100

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
775 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a suggestion, if you're doing Kutna Hora on your own

Thanks. I was going to do an organised tour to Kutna Hora but I think we may go for it and go by train. Even if we resort to taxis between the stations and bone church, for 4 of us it looks like it would still be cheaper than a tour! i just worry we would be stranded with no-one understanding English to be able to help us!