We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation from Marianske Lazne to Berlin

Which Marianske Lazne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Public transportation from Marianske Lazne to Berlin

We would like to find out whether there is a relatively graceful and efficient way to travel by train and/or coach from Marianske Lazne to Berlin, without going through Prague. This fall, we are going to visit Prague for a few days and then will move on to Berlin. During our stay in the Czech Republic, we want to pay a brief visit Marianske Lazne, which I understand can be reached from Prague by train (about 2.5-3 hours each way). Does it make more sense to visit M.L. as a day trip, returning to our Prague hotel before going on to Berlin on another day? Or is there relatively direct, decent, public transportation (presumably by train or coach) from Marianske Lazne to Berlin that wouldn't go back through Prague, and that wouldn't be outrageously slow? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation from Marianske Lazne to Berlin

It's 8,5 hrs via Prague (basically 1 change of trains, but there could be an additional one or two due to possible need to go by bus for a while because of repair works on the rail). Travelling via Cheb and Usti nad Labem you save about 0,5 hours, basically 2 changes and any additional are supposed to be needed.

See www.idos.cz for detailed schedule.

Trains on both Prague - Plzen - Marianske Lazne - Cheb as well as Cheb - Usti nad Labem (- Prague) are about the same "quality" level, no difference in comfort. From Usti you catch the same train that you would change in Prague for. Between Marianske Lazne and Cheb bus is operating instead of rail (departing just from the station building, rail tickets valid), which is valid until July or something - check the exact date of your journey.

Another possibility is to make a short visit to Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) as well. There is a private (very comfortable) local train service from Marianske Lazne to Karlovy Vary (about 1,5 hours), and from there you can easily get the train Cheb - Usti nad Labem, that stops there (exactly on the so called "upper station" while the local train from Marianske Lazne is arriving at the "lower station" - this should be no problem thanks to the visit of the town).

Less than 7 hours the journey can take, while travelling via Cheb - Leipzig, but this way 3 changes are needed. On the other hand, German trains are much better.

I would personally travel via Usti nad Labem (via Cheb or Karlovy Vary), as this way there is a quite interesting scenery along the way. Better advice could be given depending on what you would generally prefere.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation from Marianske Lazne to Berlin

With apologies for the tardiness of my reply, I want to thank you very much for taking the time to give me such a thorough and helpful response to my question. I really appreciate your help!

3. Re: Public transportation from Marianske Lazne to Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Marianske Lazne