We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Zagreb

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Prague to Zagreb

I wonder if anyone knows a good way to travel from Prague to Zagreb without a car and not costing like 300 euros? I checked air and it's way too expensive. That leaves train and bus but I googled and found bus web sights not in English. Any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,281 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Zagreb

www.idos.cz tells you all you need to know, and it is in English (press the English button - the one with the Union flag).

It is a long journey - about 13 hours, and costs approx. 78 Euros. There is one direct train a day - 0753 from Prague, arriving at 2123.

Otherwise there are several changes involved, or change in Vienna at the very least.

I wouldn't get the bus, especially in summer, as it would get very hot and cramped. It would be cheaper, but you get what you paid for :) I don't know where you would find that information - possibly www.eurolines.cz

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Zagreb

wow. i had no idea the bus takes so long. What would you suggest, then, in terms of getting to Zagreb from Prague? Or do you think I should somehow go from Prague to Vienna and then get to Zagreb from there?

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,281 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague to Zagreb

The bus only takes 11 hours and costs about 1200 Crowns (about 50 EUR), but it only goes once a week on Fridays, leaving Prague at 9pm, and arriving at 8am the next morning. The plusses are: It would save on a hotel for the night, it wouldn't be very hot, you can book online at www.eurolines.com. minuses: miss out on scenery, might be a bit cramped.

Actually your choices through Vienna seem limited as well. If you want to get the train, then you should get the 0611 JOZE PLETNIK to Zidani Most and then change to the Zagreb train arriving 1814 - it does take 12 hours, so take a couple of good books. You can buy the tickets on the day of travel, or a couple of days before if you wish. You can't book on-line, but I wouldn't worry - there will be very few people going that distance - here's a layout of the train www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

(click on 'foto' for a picture of the interior)

AS for flying - most people will want to fly to the Croatian coast, so most flights are to Split, Dubrovnik, Zadar, etc www.skyeurope.com unfortunately, as you have discovered, the national carriers are very expensive.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague to Zagreb

I'd try to get a reasonable airfare to Split or Zadar and then use local public transport.

www.skyeurope.sk

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,281 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague to Zagreb

I've looked at that option and it is still a hefty journey to Zagreb from either of those places (5.5 to 12 hours from Split, and Zadar is even more difficult to get to - but it is a great place to go - nicer than Zagreb, anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Split
Split
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
6. Re: Prague to Zagreb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Pilsen