We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

I was checking the night train tickets between Prague and budapest for september last week. However, I came across two websites with very different ticket prices. On www.cd.cz the overnight one berth in a 6 couchette with reservation is showing 250czk but the same ticket on www.czech-transport.com is showing euro 150. I am totally confused why this huge difference. Am I missing something here? Please help.

Also wanted to know will it be possible to get two tickets on the night train ticket from the station directly on the day of the travel? Any possibilites of getting sold out for a monday night train? Will it be too risky as we will not have hotel booking for that night if we dont get ticekts on that train.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Cesky Krumlov Day Trip from Prague
719 Reviews
from US$85.70*
Free Cancellation
Small-Group Bohemian and Saxon...
254 Reviews
from US$184.50*
Free Cancellation
Small-Group Prague City Walking Tour...
464 Reviews
from US$78.50*
11 replies to this topic
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,036 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

Only use the Czech Railways e-shop.

I believe reservations are a must and you can pay the day of your trip. The train people will verify

The other one you found...czech- transport whatever.... is a reseller...DO NOT use them!

Edited: 21 August 2017, 20:10
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,036 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

overnight sleeper is up to you... I am not a fan. Been there, done that- no need to do it again.

regular train depart 5:49 am be ther by 12:35pm...6hr 46 min.... buy ahead online, you can find the day train for $21USD.

In addition the night train takes two hours longer 8hr 39min ..... you arrive at 8::37...only 4hours earier than the morning train. Again, simply not my personal choice.

Edited: 21 August 2017, 20:18
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

Thank you!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

www.cd.cz is Czech Railways, showing cheap advance-purchase rates.

www.czech-transport.com is a reseller, they don;t show advance purchase rates, then only sell the megabucks full-whack full-flex fare then add a fee/markup.

You should obviously use www.cd.cz, pay a cheap fare and print your own ticket.

The sleepers are great fun and the save a hotel bill too.

Nuuk, Greenland
Level Contributor
22 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

Couchette AND sleeper tickets being sold out in September is very unlikely in my opinion. In the worst case, you can buy a normal seat. Note that the 250 CZK price you've seen is the couchette add-on only, sleeper add-on is around 370 CZK. You additionally need the standard ticket itself for around 500 - 800 when bought in advance in the Czech railways e-shop, depending on the train and how many tickets were sold already. Buying in advance pays off for Czech railways.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
41,386 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

http://old.cd.cz/en/

I find it easier to use the old cd eshop than the new one.

You can buy the ticket plus reservation, and if that is not available, buy reservation only and a full price ticket.

The full price ticket is quite expensive, circa 62 euros..

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

I' m trying to buy two tickets on this train in a family double sleeper for Sep 14 or 15, but can't seem to find any availability on the www.cd.cz site.

Should I buy the tickets from Czech Tansport or wait until arrive in Prague (Sep 9) and buy at the train station?

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

I' m trying to buy two tickets on this train in a family double sleeper for Sep 14 or 15, but can't seem to find any availability on the www.cd.cz site.

Should I buy the tickets from Czech Tansport or wait until arrive in Prague (Sep 9) and buy at the train station?

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Nuuk, Greenland
Level Contributor
22 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

Their e-shop sucks in a big way, though you should see there that 2 person mixed sleeper is not available anymore on 14th. I don't see the train listed in connections on 15th, I gave them a call and what I understood is that it's because all early bird tickets are sold out in the e-shop. That said, there is a different tranche of tickets allocated for station ticket booths, I don't know about their availability or prices. Your desired connection with family sleeper is available on 17th.

If you insist on you particular dates, don't mind overpaying the tickets by 100 Eur, and trust czech transport (not sure about this last condition), go for it. I would certainly not, for 60 Eur you should be able to find a pretty good hotel in a walking distance from the station in Brno or Bratislava and even if you don't want to spend any time there (both cities are certainly worth half a day or one day), you can catch the last train to Brno/Bratislava, sleep there, and then catch one of the early trains on to Budapest and still save way over 100 Eur. You can still try to buy sleeper tickets when you arrive and have the stopover in Brno/Bratislava as a fallback.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 06:09
Mentioned in this post
Brno
Brno
South Moravian Region, Czech Republic
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,036 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti

@Mishlen942 DO NOT buy from Czech Transport! They are a reseller/ middle man.

Anyone can search for previous posts....use the search box above..key words Budapest train and you will find plenty of info about getting to Budapest

Edited: 24 August 2017, 09:39
Mentioned in this post
Czech Inn
Czech Inn
860 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Reply to: Night train from Praha hl.n. to Budapest-Keleti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted