We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

chassell, michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

Which do you suggest as the best way? If plane, where can I find low cost flights? the best I have found is Lufthansa for $160 each!

New York City
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

The bus is a good option. Student Agency bus, not necessarily for or run by students, has modern buses, sells beverages (beer, too!!) and snacks, and is still very reasonable. I'm talking about $15 US and about a 4 hour ride with one stop. Bring your passport.

Train is a good option and I think would be about $110 round trip, if I got it right.

chassell, michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

Don't know if i am into busses - I am 68 yrs old, will be traveling with my 44 yr old son and 10 yr old granddaughter. I chkd trains and it looks like 6-7 hrs at least. We plan on going on to Fuessen when we reach Munich so that is a real long day! No, it wouldn't be RT as we will be flying out of Munich later in the week. Does bahn.de cover ALL trains leaving Prague or should I be ckng other web sites?

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

if you are going after 1st June, I would recommend student agency buses. they should only take 4 hours, as opposed to as you say 6 or 7 hours by train and should be more expensive. The buses that student agency use are brand new and comfortable

if you are wanting to travel by air, czech airlines also travel prague to czech republic.

for less than the price of two air tickets, you can pay one of the transfer companies like www.mike-chauffeur.cz to take you from prague to munich

Brisbane
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

hi - amazing what you learn on this forum ... I had naively assumed train was quickest way for Prague to Munich but seems that bus or car is almost half the time. Why is that please? Train stops? Terrain? Is the same true for Prague to Frankfurt? Appreciate any advice.

The Poconos, USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

I too was surprised to learn about the bus.Sounds like a great idea. Does anyone know how to get more info on this? I "googled" it but the websites are not available in English. I am travelling from Munich to Prague and back and wanted to get the info on how to arrange this in advance. Thanks for your help.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

I did the bus trip. Quite frankly, you can find out when you get to Prague. It's a daily trip and the bus drops you off at the last train stop in Munich. Then you take the train downtown to the center. The bus is very new and comfortable. Very inexpensive.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

bus is quicker than the train becuase there is a brand new highway from prague to munich. the train goes on a much less direct route and so is slower.

tallchief - sounds strange how you can have done the student agency bus trip when they only start on 1st may this year (next week).

Student agency do run modern buses and the fare that was being talked about to munich was 950 crowns (less than 40 dollars). The website www.studentagency.cz is not easy to master, but student agency do have large offices at jecna street in the new town, where they speak english, or you can go to buy the tickets in advance when you arrive at florenc bus station

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

Peb7, you forgot to mention that taking private cars like mike-chauffeur can mean that you will be taken by a 12 years old fiat which is surely VERY comfortable...

Go for bus imo. Student agency rox.

I did not see that Tallchief wrote he took the bus this year.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

When I was in Prague in November 05, we took the Student Agency bus overnight to Munich. Maybe I thought it was Student Agency but I'm sure it was. A yellow, new modern bus with an attendant who served drinks and snacks. I have never taken a Student Agency bus during the day. Is there another bus company that has new, yellow coaches?

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague to Munich. Train or Plane?

I flew from Frankfurt to Prague...less than an hour flight...but then you have to get to the airport 2 hours in advance...so you need to that on for time.