We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

Hi there,

I'm heading from CR to Austria via auto and am curious if I need to get a stamp to do this, as CR not yet part of EU?

I will be crossing in Mikulov area.

Thanks!!

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

I am curious how people from the US can be so ignorant as to what goes on outside their country. It obviously has escaped your attention that the Czech Republic has been part of the EU since 1st May 2004; i.e. for almost 3.5 years.

You should be given a stamp in your passport when you cross, maybe even two stamps - one from Austria and one from the Czech Republic. On busy days, they may not stamp your passport though. If you stay in the EU for less than 90 days. next year, the visa requirements may be different for the czech republic and you may need a tourist visa for tourist visits.

Remember that when you drive in both Austria and Czech Republic, you need to drive with your lights on even during the day. in Austria, you need to carry a flourescent jacket in the drivers cab for wearing if you step out of the car on the highway

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

Peb

Do you think we can get a sticky of FAQs for the forum? Now that I've moved west I notice they have this for the Amsterdam forum.

I'm sure you must get sick of answering posts about airport taxis, the fact that CZ joined the EU in 2004 and the whether or not to bring cash, bank cards or travellers cheques.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

we probably could do, but the thing is the time it takes to write each one out (tripadvisor experts do this in their spare time, and do not get paid), and the fact that the facts keep changing.

in addition, just as most of the people posting asking about hotels don't look at the reviews of the hotels under "prague hotels", that most of the people who want general information on what to do don't look at the "prague attractions" part of the website, I would suspect that most of the people who would post on here asking such questions would not look at the FAQ or sticky part of this website and so would continue to ask such questions anyway.

it might though be a very good idea for tripadvisor to put in big red letters that the czech republic did join the european union in 2004 to save any people asking more embarrassing questions. I hold my hand up that I give them short shrift, but sometimes the ignorance is very embarrassing (and dare I day it insulting)

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

PEB7,

Thanks for your insult and mostly for your information.

It must be tough being brilliant, burdened with the answers and never in error... I am sorry you find this oversight so insulting. Perhaps you should take some time off so you don't feel the weight of being the WIZARD OF PRAGUE and obligated to answer all questions! Because you are not!

I say that with relative affection and respect as I have been monitoring this sight for almost a year and you are clearly are very knowledgeable and provide valuable information to all those that chose to come to Prague to enjoy valuable vacation time.

What matches our , in this case, my ignorance is your intolerance, impatience and need to prove superior intelligence on this matter rather than just say something along the lines of, "CR has, in fact, been in the EU since 2004 and.......!"

There is a big world out there, PEB7, with lots going on! To know and recall everything, for most of us, is not always easy. You are fortunate to not have that problem, but of course you live there on the continent!

If I have overreacted to your several comments I apologize and perhaps it is just the Czech way, you know sort of like the smiling welcoming waiters written about so often here?

I surely hope I have never prefaced an answer in a friendly info forum so indignantly and arrogantly! How welcoming!

I look forward to visiting your country and drinking the same water that you do.

Believe me I am not trying to start a long drawn out list of "move to the top posts". I just wish to be treated with the same respect anyone else does. My recommendation is if you feel the need to preface an answer with a lecture or an insult don't waste your time writing at all, as we can all do without that and further rants like mine! But, of course, experts and arrogance have always been tied together.

Anyway, I do truly appreciate the information and will try to leave a good American impression on your city and country that I look forward to visiting.

PS After reviewing responses to the same post on the Salzburg forum I received zero insults, only good info. The most pertinent is that I confused EU with the Schengen Agreement!

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

if you set yourself up as being a knowall "... as CR not yet part of EU ...", I am afraid that you run the risk of being shot down if you get things so basically wrong. you too could have worded your question in another way.

I am not the wizard of prague, nor do I profess to be. a lot of people who post on this forum know a lot more about this place than I do

finally, i am sure that smiling czech waiters will give you a much warmer welcome into our country than your homeland security people or your people at the US embassy give Czechs when they apply for visas or when they arrive into the US

Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

I find it interesting that even here, where people remain anonymous, a comment becomes an insult so quickly. And the reaction is so intense.

Also, that to the one "insult" then follows the conclusion that this must be the Czech way. Nothing to do with the CR or the people living here!

Loosen up and relax, please.

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

"I'm heading from CR to Austria via auto and am curious if I need to get a stamp to do this, as CR not yet part of EU? "

I personally believe...you don't anything as both countries are still part of Austria-Hungary... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

“The most pertinent is that I confused EU with the Schengen Agreement!”

FYI Shengen Agreement

I haven’t verified it, but have heard that Austria will unilaterally keep border checks even after Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary meet all requirements of the Schengen agreement.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

total tosh. they won't be allowed to if they want to stay in the european union. Schengen is schengen and the members must behave by the rules.

you may be confused that during the football tournament next year, the schengen agreement may be temporarily suspended for austria and switzerland, so that the hooligans can be kept under control

in reality what they shouldn't have done is ripped down the iron curtain round austria - the countries on the other side of the border could now have rented it out for a huge sum to the austrians, so that the austrians can keep their eastern colleagues out as they wish to. there are few more pleasures in life than driving a luxury car with a czech numberplate down to vienna and suggesting that perhaps some people in the former colonies are actually richer than some of the viennese

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: requirements from Czech Rep to Austria

I'm sorry to say that I also took offense when I first read Peb 7's response to the original post. I do realize that there is a lot of anti-American sentiment present in Europe these days. Luckily we didn't experience it in person when we visited in 2006. We found most people to be friendly and helpful to us in Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic.

The U.S. is a huge country of 50 very different states. Most Americans have trouble keeping track of the different lingo, customs, and regulations in our own country let alone those of other nations of the world. Americans love to travel to Europe. So cut us a little slack if we are misinformed at times.