We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

USA
Level Contributor
59 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

Hello,

I'll be traveling from Prague to Budapest in October. I'm debating whether to take the day train (7hours) or the Night train. Points I'd consider would be:

* Safety. My sister and I have taken the night train from Madrid to Paris. No problem whatsoever. Haven't traveled throughout this region in Europe (Prague-Budapest). How safe (especially for 2 women traveling) is it?

* Should I take the day train: is the SCENERY from Prague to Budapest worth taking the day train?

Any suggestions welcomed!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

I have read it many times on different forums and have to agree with it.

Not worth it. The scenery is not that spectacular - unless you want to stop somewhere on the way. Eg. Breclav - with a side trip to Lednice-Valtice UNESCO listed unique landscape or Mikulov and surrounding vine region.

Night trains on this major route are very clean and safe.

If you are running out of time and really just want to get to Budapest look into low cost airlines. Might be cheaper.

Czech Airlines just launched their very own low cost offspring:

click4sky.com/cs/…click4sky_homepage.htm

and offer flights to 36 European cities for 1990,-CZK all tax incl.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

I took the day train at 7:30am and got in at 2:30pm. I still had a lot of time to sightsee that first night in Budapest. I thought the countryside was lovely to look at, but I love train travel. It's not dramatic landscapes or anything, i.e. its not the Alps, but it was a not an industrial wasteland either. I saw deer and cute little churches, and it all went very quickly what with reading a book, enjoying the dining car, updating the travel journal etc...I enjoyed meeting other passengers and the final ride into Budapest itself what actually quite beautiful as we went along the river with the hills in the background.

I had heard the night trains were not particularly restful since there are a couple of border crossings (i had at 3 passport checks on the day train--into slovakia, out of slovakia, into hungary) and not particularly clean. It didn't seem worth it to me to "save" a day if I was going to be tired for sightseeing the next day. But I think it really depends on what kind of traveler you are and how much time you have. I used the day train as a way to rest my feet after days and days of walking sightseeing in prague and found it very relaxing.

I was also a woman traveling alone.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

culture-hip,

Great Question! I had the very same one.

Does anyone happen to know the price of the night-train (2nd class sleeper for 2) as compared with the day train?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

The day train first class ticket was 1889 Czech Kor (67.20 Euro). The second class day ticket was in the 1500 Czech kor. range (maybe 1520 or 1550).

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

Thank you Talluluh,

I have read every posting you have put in lately and they are very helpful. You are my hero right now! I love what you say and how you "tell it like it is" and especially how you take time to reply.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

Thanks Brahmama. Feel free to send me a personal message if you have any specific questions. My trip to Central Europe is fresh in my brain!

7. Re: Train Ride from Prague to Budapest: Worth the view?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 23:15