We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague or Vienna ?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Prague or Vienna ?

Which one would be more interesting in mid December ?

How weather would be like and which has the most enjoyable Christmas atmosphere?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

Hi

We went to Vienna this summer and it most certainly is an absolutely beautiful city, we've also been to Prague several times and that's where I would visit if I had to chose. We didn't feel that Vienna has the atmosphere that Prague has, we always feel happy in Prague but Vienna didn't engender that feeling.

Prague is every bit as beautiful with the added X factor.

Jackie

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
792 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

i also think prague is nicer but the christmas markets in vienna are probably better. nevertheless, i'd recommend prague with a day trip to the christmas markets in dresden, germany...

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

Thank you for your replies !

Still not sure which I should choose . Both seem to be such nice places.

Guess the decision will finally have a lot to do with flight timetable and hotel prices…

Anyway , I'm sure either one would be great.

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

i am going to vienna in december for 13 days with side trips - very difficult to compare with prague - however vienna is easier on the feet and there is more to see than prague although prague is a very pretty city - they both have much to offer.

singapore
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

Just returned from trip to Vienna followed by Prague and I enjoyed both places very much.

Suggest you visit both as you will enjoy both as they are very near, about 4 hours train journey. :-)

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

"Suggest you visit both as you will enjoy both as they are very near, about 4 hours train journey. :-)"

Another option is flying. Low-cost airline SkyEurope starts daily service between Prague and Vienna from Oct. 28

www.skyeurope.eu

Although I'd say train is more fun, especially Pendolino SuperCity trains.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

Thanks again for your replies and sugestions .

The thing with this trip is that I only have four days and don't want to spend them all changing planes and hotels ( or trains, even if like LKHK I find train travel very fun ).

As much as I like going around ( and believe me I do ! ) I also like to take some time to "dive" into the local ambiance.

I guess that , if visiting Prague and Vienna in four days , I'll pretty much miss that "feeling" in both.

So... that is why I am thinking about choosing only one . Otherwise I'll certainly visit both .

Anyway , if I choose Prague I’m immediately going to plan a ( maybe February ) trip to Vienna and Budapest ( and maybe also Bratislava – is it worthwile ? )

So much to see , so little time...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

Those are two totally different cities - in short Vienna more classy, Prague more bohemian. What matters in winter months - museums, concerts, opera and culture are great in both. Vienna has much more to offer on the art scene.

From the architecture point of view it makes more sense to see Prague first - there isn't more beautiful city in the world...very picturesque, all possible styles preserved and mingled together, walk walk walk and you are lost in centuries. You are more likely to get snow in Prague then in Vienna and then its magnificent.

Prague has Xmas markets as well, they just don't have the same ancient authentic feel.

Architecturally Vienna is built in boring uniform imperial grandeur style with few remarkable art nouveau exceptions. It has wonderful Christmas market, very nice Christmas feeling in the streets, hot chestnuts, decorated cafes, holiday pastries - so if it is this time of the year I would probably go for Vienna. It would be more expensive than Prague. If you are after truly festive experience, like classy stuff, would splurge on concerts and opera, eat out and enjoy museums - Vienna will make great holiday experience.

With my tight budget I would go to Prague for Christmas, to Vienna and to Budapest in fall (vine, vine, vine) and to Nuremberg, Koln or Dresden for proper Christmas market...

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

Hi Ilsalmi !

It’s great to hear from Philadelphia ! How’s old Phily doing ? I just love it .

Regarding your comment… You’re leaving me even in more doubt ! :) I just love that Christmas ambiance you talk about Vienna.

I’ve been to Munich and Salzburg and they both have great Xmas markets ( specially Salzburg ) and festive feeling. I believe that Vienna’s would be something like Salzburg and that is fantastic.

But I also love architecture , and snow in Prague sounds wonderful , so… it seems that from that point of view maybe Prague would be better…

Maybe doing a day trip to Dresden ( like Heinokules suggested) to see the Xmas markets would make sense. Are they really worth a day trip from Prague ?

singapore
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague or Vienna ?

The problem is you have asked this question in a Prague forum so might just get a pro-Prague answer!

Sure most people in Vienna forum will say visit Vienna! :-)

Suggest you do some research on Internet, it's up to individual I think depending on what you like. Enjoy whichever city you chose eventually and you can always visit the other one on another day!