We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

Ireland
6 posts
Save Topic
Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

Hi. Am thinking of booking a few days in Prague at the end of January (or possibly early Feb). Have read that temperatures then are 0degrees (and quite possibly lower)and that its the coldest month of their year. Must admit that the thoughts of seeing a beautiful city covered in snow has a lot of appeal to me, but on the other hand if theres no snow and its bitterly cold and raining thats a differrent story. Oh and I must add the most important thing ... we will be accompanied by our 3 year old son who definitely is not used to that sort of weather! Any thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated especially from anyone who's been there at that time of year

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Berwick-upon-Tweed...
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

I have been twice that time of .both times for my bday(3 feb).first time it was never above -3 thro the day and as cold as -12 at night and there was loads of snow and the place was magical (if a bit nippy.2nd time 2 yrs later it was again cold around freezing daytime and -3 at night but was a mixture of snow and rain and the place was a bit slippery and slushy really and not great for walking around in.It just depends but I would say it will be cool but wether you get the stuff we had the 1st time around who knows??

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,703 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

I can remember one year (I think it was 1996) when it was -25, but as long as you layer well it's not that bad. I don't think this year will be that cold, but you never know...

Prague is beautiful in the extreme cold, but you are certainly brave taking your 3 year old! We have got one of those as well - I think he should be fine, ours doesn't seem to feel the cold at all, and if there is snow he should be in his element. At least the streets should be less crowded, anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

We are thinking of spending a few days in Prague at the beginning of January (not till 2008 though). Will it be just as cold? And is there likely to be any snow? Snow would actually be great. We are used to sightseeing in the snow but rain does rather tend to spoil things. It would be nice to hear from someone who's been there or who knows what it's like in early January.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

Sorry - meant to say January 2009. We're starting to plan dates etc now. Maybe anyone who stays in Prague over the next few weeks can let us know what it was like.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

Sorry - meant to say January 2009. We're starting to plan dates etc now. Maybe anyone who stays in Prague over the next few weeks can let us know what it was like.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,703 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

It really varies - it used to be quite stable and you could be almost guaranteed some snow, but in recent years what with global warming and all that it has been all over the place so it is impossible to predict how it will be next year - last year was totally different from this year, for example.

Whatever the weather, it should be fine, though.

wales
Level Contributor
148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

I was there early january last year, weather was perfect. fairly cold but sunny,going back again on 11th january for 4 nights. would be nice to see some snow. will let you know when we are back, baddy95

8. Re: Weather in January ... Are we mad !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 10:16