We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the best way to pay for hotel

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
whats the best way to pay for hotel

Hi i leave for prague on monday.unfornataly i ve misplaced my credit card will i be able to pay in cash if so will it be it their currency.

Also is the post office i good place to change currency before i travel

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats the best way to pay for hotel

OK You really need to do a big search and find your card before you go, but if this is not possible then take sterling/Euros cash and change it when you get there IN A HIGH STREET BANK in Prague (but not all at once, obviously) - do not under ANY circumstances change it at a 'change' booth either in Prague or in the post office/bank/Thomas Cook at home as you will be severely ripped off.

The high street banks are easily recognised - Česká spořitelna, Komerční banka, Československá obchodní banka and Živnostenská banka are the largest ones and the main branches of these and more are on Na příkopě street which is the pedestrianised shopping street that leads from the bottom of Wenceslas Square. But there are banks everywhere.

The problem with bringing cash with you is that if you lose it you are stuffed. I suppose you could take travellers cheques instead, though.

You will need Czech Crowns for everything there - Euros will possibly be accepted in your hotel, but only at a very poor rate of exchange - the same is true in other places as well if they ask for them. For an initial supply, change some at Prague airport when you arrive (but not too much - just enough to get you into town and for a meal and a couple of beers - £30 should be enough for that) and then, depending on the time of day, find yourself a bank - look for signs to the 'směnárna' (exchange both).

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats the best way to pay for hotel

thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.I ve cancelled my card but a couple of my sisters are taking theres so i can use for emergencies.I did nt realise that using the post office was a bad idea.

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whats the best way to pay for hotel

It's only a bad idea in that the exchange rate is so poor - the best rate is from the cashpoint (despite the commission charge) so you might need to owe your sister!

4. Re: whats the best way to pay for hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 07:17