We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts to bring back from Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts to bring back from Prague

I will be in Prague later this month, my first time in the Czech Republic. I will not have a lot of spare time, and I'm wondering in advance what types of items people tend to purchase in Prague (or the Caech Republic generally) to "take home."

If there are recommended places to shop for these items, I'd appreciate that, too!

I will be shopping primarily for my 12-yr-old daughter and 9-yr-old son, as well as my husband, parents, etc. I am interested in any suggestions you have.

Also, is there any type of jewelry or stone fpr which the Czech Republic or Prague specifically is known?

Additionally, I have brought home ethnic (children's and general) music (CDs), and books about the places I've visited, from other trips, so if anyone has a suggestion of a CD shop or of a book store with children's/teen's books about the city, that would be great, too. I will be staying near the Prague Catle.

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,436 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

there is a toy museum up near the castle,I can't remember exactly where and I am sure it has a gift shop.

Czech Republic has great spoting traditions and a sports shirt or other sporting stuff( soccer or Ice Hockey) may be nice.

I have brought back Beer mugs for my nephews on various occasions and there are several places to but them in the city,but U Medvidku bar/resturant has a huge shop there.

Amber is the most common jewellery and is a available in lots of shops.Puppets and wooden toys are classic Czech products and are availble widely.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

Thank you!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

> Amber is the most common jewellery ..

So is garnet. Could it be more common than Amber?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
349 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

For CDs/books in english about Czech fairy tales, legends can be found in bookstores at Wenceslas square - there are three huge ones to choose from - Luxor, Academia and Kanzelsberger - I prefer the last one, on top floor they have whole section of Prague/czech stuff.

Garnet is traditionally czech stone, jewelery made of it is fairly cheap and available everywhere in tourist center, shop around, prices wary a lot. Granat Turnov has factory store in Celetna street.

What is unique commodity though is moldavite -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldavite

beautiful moss green meteoric glass found only in narrow strip around river Vltava (the one that flows through Prague). It can be very expensive, depending on size and shape, but you can get nice smaller pieces for under $40.

For gifts and toys I like Manufaktura - hand made wood toys and kitchen utensils/decoration, hand block printed linens. Botanicus has organic hand made cosmetic, candles, fragrances, body care, wonderful smell.

Although its a gamble each time at US customs; I can not resist bringing back delicious smoked sheep cheese, hard dry sausages, herbal liquors, ice wine - makes great gifts:)

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

Thank you all for the info!

A few questions...if you wouldn't mind, please tell me in what section of town these are:

--Wenceslas square

--Celetna street.

--Manufaktura

--Botanicus

Are they near Prague Castle?

If not, what places that I might visit are they near?

Also,do you recommend a place to buy moldavite--the more inexpensive pieces, as a token of the trip?

Thank you again!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
349 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

Google and good guide with city map gets you a long way:)

I recommend getting good book guide, Prague's winding streets can get very confusing and although sometimes there is nothing better than be lost and just wander the streets, sometimes it can get frustrating:)

If you stay around the castle, you are at the Mala Strana (lesser Town) side of the river. Almost all sights and shopping options are across the river in Old and New Town. Wenceslas square is long steep boulevard bordering Old/New Town, souvenir shops are mainly in Old Town along King's Road - cheaper and much less tacky is the portion beyond Old Town square leading to Powder gate, shops in street between Charles bridge and Old Town square are just straight up day light robbery and a temple of bad taste.

www.manufaktura.biz/zpravy/index.asp…

www.botanicus.cz - look for shops

frommers.com/destinations/…0063010031.html

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

Thank you. I do plan to have maps, but since my time to sightsee with be horribly brief, I thought I'd jumpstart by asking! I appreciate the info!

8. Re: Gifts to bring back from Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 14:18