We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Czech food

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Level Contributor
677 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Czech food

What is original czech food? In Vienna (Austria) I would order wiener szhnitzel. In the UK I tried fish & chips. What is the name of the food I can not get in other countries?

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Czech food

Hi

I'll be interested in any replies as am off to Prague soon. Various internet searches on Czech food were quite forthcoming & wiki had quite a lot as usual, but I'd prefer hear about it from the horses mouth.

Everyone knows about Czech beer.....but food?

What I really want to find is somewhere that does "killer bee" Linguine ai frutti di Mare that's fantastic seafood pasta to you & me. Though as the Czech Rep is landlocked I doubt whether there's much good seafood around........unless anyone knows different!

Cheers

Ntd

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Czech food

Svickova with dumplings (beef stew best home made)

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Czech food

Traditional Czech food is not exactly what one would call dietary, however it perfectly goes with the flavourful Czech beer.

It mostly consists of pork or beef meat with sauce and a side dish, the most common and liked being dumplings. Dumplings (“knedliky”) are the Czech traditional side dish made from wheat or potato flour, boiled in water as a roll and then sliced and served hot.

Other side dishes are: rice, potatoes (boiled, baked or fried).

Czech people love Svičková (read “svitch-co-va”) or Rajská (read “raiska”), a somehow interesting combination of meat with sauce and whipped cream.

Chicken, duck, turkey, fish, rabbit and lamb are also used in some very tasteful Czech dishes. A good choice can be the Guláš (read like in English, “goulash“), even though it basically belongs to traditional Hungarian cuisine.

If you are in a restaurant and you aren’t really in the mood to spent hours studying the menu, you can chose another Czech classical, that is Fried Cheese (Smažený Sýr, read “smazhenee seer”) garnished with potatoes (I recommend baked potatoes) and Tatarská Omáčka , read “tatarska omachka (Tartar sauce).

Soups

The most appreciated Czech soups (polévka) are onion (Cibulačká, read “tsibulachka”) and garlic soup (Česneková polévka, read “Chessnekova polevka”), but the speciality for Christmas is the fish soup (Rybí polévka), made out of Carp, the Czech traditional Christmas delicacy. Also very tasty is Goulash Soup (Gulášová polévka), a spicy thick (creamy) soup, served with brown bread.

Salads

Czech salads contain delicious mayonnaise or dressing-sauce. Some salads contain also sugar, so if you’re not a fan of sweet salads, just ask them not to put any…. In general Czech salads are not only really tasty but also huge, so you can served as the main course without worrying that you will be hungry immediately after.

Desserts

Famous are the Czech Pancakes (Palačinky – read “Palachinky”), filled with ice-cream, jam or fruits and coated in whipped-cream, almonds or sugar.

Try also the traditional Fruit dumplings (Ovocné Knedlíky, read “ovotsne knedliky”) and the various forms of tasteful Czech cakes (Kolač – read “Kolach”) filled with different fruits, jams or curds.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Czech food

Fruit Dumplings are lovely - with lots of sugar and melted butter - not dietary though

Also Paprika chicken is very tasty (with dumpling of course)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Czech food

Pork Knee is a Czech Classic,very fatty but delicious.

The goulash soup is wonderful and in many places they serve it in a bread bowl.Lots of pork dishes ,wild boar,venison ,duck and goose ,as well as beef and chicken.

Goulash with dumplings and roast pork with saurkraut and dumpings are on almost every menu,fast food that is cheap and delicious.

Prague
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Czech food

I would also add smažený sýr (fried cheese) in its different kinds. Řízek, schnitzel in german and many other names in many other countries (the deep fried breaded steak of something is also popular in Lithuania and Argentina, for example).

If you like meat, pork's knee is a must, as is tatarský bifter (the Czech take on steak tartare).

And you should not forget the delicious array of beer snacks (chuťokvý k pivu), some of them can be a bit of an acquired taste (utopenec, which I love and I make at home) or pivní sýr (beer cheese), others are delicacies like a good nakladaný hermelín (a brie-like cheese pickled in oil and spices or sausages in black beer, just to mention a couple.

Of course, if you want to it the real stuff, you will do better in staying away from the obvious touris traps advertising themselves with signs in English. Food tends to be rubbish there.

Na Zdraví

MAX

http://pivni-filosof.blogspot.com/

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Czech food

mmmh sound tasty, though not so sure about the pork knee!

.....& as I though no seafood!

Ntd

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Czech food

Oh pork knee is delicious - but must have a beer of two with it.

Sea Food - you get the odd oyster in the season, and lobster etc in the expensive restaurants, but I don't really know

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Czech food

Higher prices of seafood doesn't mean no fish at all.

Check Rybářský klub on Kampa

http://www.rybklub.cz/restaurace/EN_uvod.htm

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Czech food

The proper translation is not "pork knee" but "pork shank". The shank is the portion below the knee of the rear legs, above or below the knee joint for front legs. It is usually prepared by roasting.

mackenzieltd.com/mackenzie/Item_Braised-Pork…

There is also lamb shank. They are great!

Also, as for fish, try both trout and carp. Yes, carp is very good. These are small carp, mostly from ponds in Southern Bohemia.

And as for knedliky (dumplings), there is the the flour one mentioned above and also the potato knedlik. Try both ---- with roast pork or duck and red cabbage.