We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Prague to Budapest

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford
Level Contributor
174 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Prague to Budapest

A question on buying train tickets from Prague to Budapest:

Can any of the experts advise on whether we need to buy before we travel to Prague. We want to travel on the 12:35 train on the 19th August but we don't arrive in Prague until the 16th. As a family of four we want to make sure we get seats together for the 7 hour journey!

I can buy in advance from Die Bahn but the prices seemed to be about 25% higher than from Czech railways.

If we do leave it until we arrive, where do we go for the tickets and seat reservations? Do we have to go to the station and queue or is there an agency?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

I am in Prague now...bought my ticket yesterday for travel today to Krakow. I had no problems whatsoever...though I am traveling first class.

I came to Prague from Budapest on the train....in first class, there were hardly any people! I had an entire compartment to myself...the price was around 95 Euro.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
407 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

You should be able to buy your tickets in Prague no problem. Since it is a Friday the train may sell out for some portions of the trip, so if you all want to sit together you should try to get those tickets upon your arrival in Prague.

When you go into the main station you will need to go to the international tickets line and buy. In the past I have bought from the Wasteels travel agency which is also in the station (they have websites, but only in the local language), but you'll have to wait in line there as well.

Re: Prices quoted above. 2nd class will be significantly cheaper, but if you want to travel first class you can probably buy the tickets the day of the trip without much worry.

alaksaitaly: You were going to tell us the price of your prague -> Krakow ticket.

Oxford
Level Contributor
174 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

Thank you both for your help. We'll make sure we get the reservations at least a few days before.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

My Prague to Krakow ticket..first class...was around 90 Euros.

The ticket was for a single sleeper compartment (so may have been a little more money for that)...although, I will say that calling it a sleeper train is a bit of a misnomer...in that you get on at 9:20 p.m. - get woke up around 2:30 for passport..sit in station for nearly an hour for this...then the porter wakes you up at 4 a.m. to ask if you want coffee....then you're in Krakow at 5:30.

It was the only train where I didn't have to change trains along the way though.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

Even on a Friday, you can buy your tickets in Prague. It can though be worth buying your ticket the day beforehand, as the ticket queue at the station can be notoriously slow. The train will not sell out. As the other contributors have mentioned, first class is not that more expensive, comes with a free seat reservation (so you know you sit as a group), and is much quieter.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

I would buy the ticket a day in advance - just found that it was a bit more complicated finding this train station-and getting around it. Can't really explain why...just was. When you buy your ticket in Prague, they will also give you the platform number it will be leaving from.

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

Hi

Have you checked out www.raileurope.co.uk

You can pre-book your seat numbers with these, for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children 4-11 year old) the price would be GBP139.00 Don't know if that's any better than what you've been quoted.

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

Another option would be to fly. www.expedia.co.uk have flights with Czech Airlines at various times of the day for GBP198.00 in total for all 4 of you - one way. Flight duration is 1 hour and 5 minutes!

Oxford
Level Contributor
174 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

Gill,

Thanks for your suggestions; I hadn't realised you could buy online from RailEurope - thought it was just for EuroStar. The price is just about the same as Die Bahn but at least you can see which seats you are getting.

Are you sure about the flights? The best I can see (from Expedia) are £233 per person! Directly from CSA (the Czech Airline) I can get returns for £439 for all of us - just no one-way tickets. I actually started looking at trains because i couldn't find any low cost air fares. There is no competition on the route with CSA and Malev codesharing.

Thanks again to all who have given advice.

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

Hi

I certainly thought I saw the flights at that price but on looking again, it's possible I've mistook the per person price for the total - sorry!

Good luck!