We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

newcastle
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

Hi all,

I posted the info below in response to a recent question. Torii has suggested it would be usefully posted as a separate topic, as it seems to be a frequently asked question, so here it is:

We just came back last week. The cigarette prices range from about 55 crowns for local brands up to about 85 crowns for brands like Marlboro and B&H. 200 of premium brands were 820 crowns in both the local supermarkets and at the airport. We normally smoke Royals, which are the same sort of strength as B&H (but cheaper), and we bought Winstons at Prague airport - 200 for 640 crowns. If you buy at the airport make sure you've got enough crowns left because although you can pay with cards or sterling or euros, you'll get stung on the exchange rate!

We paid between roughly £13 and £20 a head for 2 courses, 2 drinks, 2 coffees in reasonably good/mid-range restaurants. Beer prices varied from 27Kc (in Mala Strana) up to 40Kc (Wensceslas Square), wine is a bit dearer but not too awful.

It is probably more expensive that it was, but this is mainly due to the awful exchange rate and at least it's still cheaper than here!

Be warned, if you want to smoke in the airport before you fly home, you have to buy something in the bar to be allowed to smoke in there (only place you can) and they were charging 145Kc for a beer!!!

Hope this is useful, enjoy Prague!!

Sara

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Mala strana
Mala strana
4,404 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Johnny Pizza
£, Italian, Pizza, Fast food
Wine O'Clock Shop Prague
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean, European
Iluze Bar
££ - £££, Bar, European
Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

Thanks Sara

It will give us something to refer to untill the prices change.

TORII

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

Airport beer up to 145czk !!!,when I was there less than 2 years ago it was 135czk and I thought that a crazy price,what was even crazier was that Gambrinus was the same price as Pilsner Urquell.

At present exchange rates that makes a beer at the airport about £5 a totally crazy price.

well no last beer at the airport for me on my next trip.:( :( :(

Mentioned in this post
Pilsner Restaurant
Pilsner Restaurant
178 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
norwich
Level Contributor
234 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

I would pay that just to have a cigarette !! at least there is SOMEWHERE for a last gasp !

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

I think things are changing - Slovakia has brought in a rudimentary smoking ban that comes into force in April and the Czechs will surely follow ...

Mentioned in this post
newcastle
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

Hi Chere0q - I agree completely but unfortunately this is why they can get away with charging these prices! The only slight plus is that you can do what we did: buy one drink, make it last an hour and a half (or more if your flight is delayed), take it in turns to go to the loo, shops etc., and they can't say a thing!!!

For the non-drinkers I'm afraid the other prices are just as bad - coffee equivalent to about £4, 33ml soft drink £3 - £3.50!!!!

GCEK - I'm sure you're right, in fact I was a little surprised that this hadn't already come in, in public places like the airport, in Prague. I'm all for smoke-free areas, in fact despite being a smoker I don't actually like to be in a very smoky environment! However, I'm also in favour of freedom of choice for smokers as well as non-smokers, and it was a great pleasure to be in a country that still respected this!!!

Anyone reading this - please don't get the wrong idea - I'm not trying to start a debate on the pros and cons of smoking bans - this isn't the place for that :)

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Suffolk
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

Hi

Just back.

Superkings in some shops were 71Kc for 20 and the new price was 79Kc.

At the airport they were still 71Kc.

Malt wine varied from 45Kc near Charles bridge and 99Kc in the Old square.

I ate out and spent approx £16/£17 per night for a good meal 3 whiskey and lemonades and a coffee.

many restaurants had special at lunch time for 199kc

main meal, pudding, wine or beer approx £6, or starter main meal and coffee. All were good value.

Mentioned in this post
Charles Bridge
Charles Bridge
59,528 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

I wrote here before about outrageous beer prices at the airport, and asked how they get away with it.

Never found out??

£5 doesn't seem so bad until you factor in local prices, when looked at locally it's the equivalent of going to the bar at Heathrow and being charged £15 a pint!!! Should be a law against such extortion.

Stoofer

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

'Blesk' (the Czech equivalent of 'The Sun') picked up on this last September blesk.cz/clanek/servis-penize/100350/nehoraz…

Headline: Monstrous prices at Prague Airport

There are a couple of tables that show the percentage markup against the 'real' price (běžná cena).

(BTW the 150 Crowns for a beer is for only 0.3l !!)

Then it says:

"The former management of the state-owned Prague Airport Company gave the refreshments service to a single company under beneficial conditions practically as a monopoly, and therefore there was not sufficient competition", explained the spokesperson for the Association of Travel Agencies, Tomio Okamura. "There might be expensive rents or insufficient competition", confirmed the commercial analyst Vladimír Pikora.

What does the airport have to say?

"From October (2008) half of the restaurants at Prague Airport will be taken over by ATB. We expect that these changes will bring about an overall improvement in the services offered including choice and prices," said the airpot spokesperson Eva Krejčí."

Whether they have done something about it or not I don't know, as we always fly through Bratislava. Somehow I doubt it...

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

Thanks GCEK

I wonder how busy the bar is at those prices? It was empty when we went inside.

Perhaps they would get more business and profit if they made prices more sensible, simple economics???

o.3l, that's worse than last year. So equivalent to £22 for a pint at Heathrow! :-O

Stoofer

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current cigarette/beer prices in Prague

Follow-up article from February 2nd (same source) blesk.cz/clanek/zpravy-domaci/109181/ceny-v-…

According to the comparison tables some prices have gone down, but not by much, and they now have three 'price categories' - even so, the lowest price category serves beer at 'only' 95 Crowns, this time for 0.5 l

It seems to be only a token gesture.