We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

We will be making our first visit to Prague in mid-September, staying four or five nights. We are having a difficult time deciding between staying in Mala Strana (sounds like a beautiful area, but perhaps somewhat touristy, with restaurants catering primarily to tourists) or Vinohrady (sounds more residential, not too many tourists). Which neighborhood would you suggest for a first time visitor? Thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

Since this is your first visit, stay nearer the tourist sites --- either Mala Strana or the Old Town.

For years I've stayed in a friend's apartment in Vinohrady, which is fine for me, because I know Prague like the back of my hand --- and I take the Metro or trams everywhere.

However, for you, bite the bullet and stay in a tourist, central area.

When I've had to stay in a hotel in the tourist area, I always use the Betlem Club Hotel. It's location is great, good staff, and for Prague it's moderately-priced.

http://www.betlemclub.cz/en/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

Thanks, Castleblanca. Any other suggestions for our trip?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
58 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

Definitely Mala Strana with a lot of romantic places, Vinohrady is residential district!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

Thanks, Rakub. Do you have any suggestions on places to eat (where natives of Prague go, not tourists) or things to do?

charleroi, pa
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

first time i went i stayed in old town on karlova now stay in vinohrady make sure you take walking tour to get familiar with getting around first and metro is easy to use to get around

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
58 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

tell me, where you will stay, I try to find for you some restaurants:)

7. Re: First Time Visitor: Mala Strana or Vinohrady?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 20:20