We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
362 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Hi all!

We're thinking about travelling in Czech for a few days in Czech in the beginning of July, and we have this in mind for the moment: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno (and from Brno on to Budapest).

Questions are:

1. how easy is it to get from Prague to Cesky Krumlov? By train? By bus? Takes how long and costs how much respectively? Services of frequency?

2. How well connected is it between Cesky Krumlov and Brno? (We don't want to go back to Prague and then go to Brnn). The website for the Czech railways is not available in English so I can't figure out if there are train services between the two. What about bus?

3. As i understand, the train going from Prague to Budapest goes through Brno. Is there a timetable to see what time from Brno the train sets off to Budapest? (All i can find is just from Prague to Budapest)

4. Lastly, is there any way that i can make bookings of the train tickets? Or do i have to buy it upfront at the station?

Sorry, quite a long list of Qs, but would be very grateful if any one can advise.

Thanks!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,383 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Firstly, have a look at www.idos.cz - if you click on the English button at bottom right it will become clearer :) This site gives you all the information you need about trains and buses.

1. Bus is probably the quickest, but a bit tricky to book the tickets - there are detailed instructions on how to do this on this forum - so a search on 'Student Agency' (name of the bus company). Alternatively, on www.idos.cz, when you haqve found a bus link that suites you, click on the yellow box next to the time, click the English button when the popup box appears, and follow the instructions - it is a bit easier that way. You could also get the train, which takes longer, and you need to change at České Budějovice. Buy tickets at the station beforehand - no need to book in advance.

2. There are no direct buses or trains, and you will have to change at České Budějovice onto either one of these modes of transport. It is quite a long journey, though, so bring a good book.

3/4. Yes - the train to Budapest goes through Brno. All the times, etc, are on the above link. In theory it would work out cheaper for you if you bought a ticket from Prague to Budapest at €19 here https:/… and got on at Brno - but I have no idea how that would work in practise, i.e. whether the inspector might say something as I cannot work out from the Ts and Cs whether this is allowed or not. I personally would try it as I can speak the language - if you are not feeling so brave, then buy the ticket on the day from the international desk at Brno station.

Have fun!

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
362 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Thanks very much for the information. Very useful. I'll probably drop Brno in this case.

Another question comes up: I read it from other places that there's night train from Prague to Budapest (time- and cost-saving attempted) http://czech-transport.com/index.php?id=402, but I couldn't find any on the link you sent me (the 2nd one). Which one is more accurate/official/up-to-date?

Thanks!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,383 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

You can't buy tickets for the night train on-line - you will have to do that when you get to Prague, and a couploe of days before, or even on the day should be fine.

For times look at www.idos.cz - there is a single sleeper carriage that makes it eventually to Budapest in the morning. It costs quite a bit more than €19, though, but you save on a hotel for the night, so it probably works out cheaper. Plus it gets you to your destination.

It would be a shame to drop Brno, though - it is a beautiful city.

Good luck!

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
362 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Thanks for your help!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Not familiar with Cesky Kromluv. Buy your ticket at the Prague station to Brno. Take your time in Brno and then buy a ticket from Brno to Budapest. You do not need a night train, travel during the day. If I recall correctly, it was only 3 hours from Prague to Brno and it shouldn't be more than 4 hours to Budapest from there. Why not go through Vienna and spend a couple of days and take the train from Vienna to Budapest. Only 4 hours and you will love the Austrian musical train whistle!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Please look at the Cesky Krumlov forum for detailed instructions on how to buy student agency tickets to Cesky Krumlov (the posting is called English instructions to buy Student agency bus tickets online). They cost less than $10 per person. Cesky Krumlov is a lovely town and should not be missed.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

Hi Sonia,

We recently did a trip from Budapest to Brno and return. It is indeed cheaper to book a ticket from Prague to Budapest than it is from Brno to Budapest (I don't know why). Then, you get on the train in Brno and you will probably have to ask people to leave your reserved seats (because they were vacant between Prague and Brno). The journey takes 4 hours and 10 minutes and is often very crowded on weekends.

Cheers

Mutiny

8. Re: Prague - Cesky Krumlov - Brno: possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 06:19