We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train Prague to Vienna

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
train Prague to Vienna

I have spent hours and am completely confused trying to figure out trains from Vienna to Prague on in reverse. Are all trains overnight? Is it necessary to change in some isolated town? What are the best trains? ICE, Thalys, Euro? Any help at all to steer me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peggy

Haddonfield, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train Prague to Vienna

i'm doing research myself. i went to the website rail europe. there are several trains, some non-stop, some with connections. the non-sto looks like it takes about 4 hours

www.raileurope.com

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train Prague to Vienna

Hi NJ neighbor. We're in CT. Anyway, I've discovered that if you put into this forum "train Vienna to Prague", there's a lot of info.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train Prague to Vienna

What sites did you visit that have confused you? There are numerous direct trains, most of them leaving from Praha-Holesovice. http://www.vlak.cz/ConnForm.asp?cl=E5

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train Prague to Vienna

Forget about raileurope altogether - it should be banned as it is a complete rip-off joint. You can buy tickets from Prague to Vienna here https:/…search_cd-obb.aspx for €19

and reverse from Vienna to Prague here oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp

as Mikey says above there is no need to change trains or to get any of the trains you suggest - look at www;idos for times (English button bottom right)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train Prague to Vienna

www.idos.cz (it has an english version, too)

i've taken the ride recently, with the comfortable train "pendolino". it takes only four hours

one way ticket - about 1200 CZK

round ticket is with a little discount

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train Prague to Vienna

Jirikoo - you cannot have been recently :)it is a lot cheaper than that, and the Pendolino now costs the same as the normal train, about 540 Crown. Maybe the 1200 is a return.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train Prague to Vienna

Jirikoo - you cannot have been recently :)it is a lot cheaper than that, and the Pendolino now costs the same as the normal train, about 540 Crown. Maybe the 1200 is a return.

--------------------------------

yes, i can, GCEK. :)

scpendolino.cz/cs_CZ/…page.xhtml

44,80 EUR, 1180 Kč for one-way ticket departing Prague.

I do know how much the normal trains cost nowadays in comparison to the Pendolino, though. I wanted to take solely the latter one.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train Prague to Vienna

The trip is only 4 hours from Prague to Vienna, no train changes. Be sure to get to the train station early as we found nothing with English and it may take some time to find the international platform. If you are only going to Vienna, you do not need a railpass, just buy your ticket at the station.

If you are traveling to more than one country, get a first class railpass. It may not be cheaper, but you get the train schedules with it and whether you need a reservation, the name of the train station, etc. We hit 8 countries in a month and it sure made it easy to travel.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train Prague to Vienna

Aha - but if you buy it here https:/… the Pendolino is only 517 Crowns (check it out!)

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train Prague to Vienna

Hey, GCek, it makes sense to me and you live there!