We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

Does anyone know what train fare costs and how long it takes to travel by train between Krakow and Prague? We are three adults and would like to take a night/sleeper train.

Ostrava, Czech...
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

Hi,

trains to Krakov as follows:

14:09 Prague main station 21:46 Krakow Glowny

EC 119 Comenius

21:09 Prague main station 6:33 Krakow Glowny

R 201 Silesia - this one has sleeper carriages

www.idos.cz for Czech railways timetables

(price should be 517 CZZ though you need to check this up - this might be just a special summer price which Czech railways decided to make this summer )

Night train from Krakow to Prague as follows:

Krakow Glowny 22:15 - Prague main station 6:54

R 200 Silesia (sleeping carriages)

and "day train"

Krakow Glowny 6:53 - Prague main station 13:54

EC 118 Comenius

Hope this helps!

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

Thank you very much! Great and helpful information. Should I reserve in advance or can I buy tickets when I am there?

Ostrava, Czech...
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

I am not sure if you go from Prague to Krakow or the other way.

Anyway for train travel Prague to Krakow you can buy tickets just before going. As for sleeper I am not sure maybe better to check it out when you arrive to Prague whether you should make a reservation or buy it several days in advance.

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

Thank you!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

For the Prague - Krakow day train the €19/€29 special fare is only available on-line here https:/… - if you buy it on the day it costs a lot more.

The sleeper train either way will have to be bought either on the day or a couple of days before at the station in either Krakow or Prague.

Or you could try www.polrail.com - for a small fee they can sort out these tickets for you in advance, saving you any hassle. I know that an overnight two-berth sleeper Prague to Warsaw through them would cost about €110 ('normal' price about €100), so Prague - Krakow or vice versa would be similar. If there are three of you then maybe a four-berth couchette (if there is one on this train) might be better, and also a lot cheaper.

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

Thank you very much! I will check your links and plan properly. I really appreciate all the advice.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
55 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

We just took the overnight train from Krakow to Prague last week in a 6-berth couchette and the final price (with reservations, etc.) was around $100 USD per person (one way). The train left from Krakow at around 10 p.m. if my memory serves correctly, and we arrived around 6:30 or so the next morning. All in all, the experience was fine. The staff was helpful and the couchettes were fine. If you are indeed leaving out of Krakow, I recommend using Orbis travel, located in the main square, to purchase your tickets (which we did a day before our departure). They don't charge any fees, they speak English in case you need a little assistance, and there are generally no lines, while the train station remains pretty busy all day.

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

Great information! Thank you very much.

9. Re: train or plane between Krakow & Prague?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 07:43