We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

Brea, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

Hi, just looking for some advice on a day trip from Prague. We have one day free after 2 days in the city of sightseeing so we would like to take a day trip. Both of these places seem interesting so we are not sure which way to go. They are both 8-10 hour trips from Prague and about the same price. I am hoping someone who has been to either would have some advice. We are two couples who are mid 40s and like to walk, check out the history, culture and art of these wonderful places. Thanks for any advice!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

definitley Cesky Krumlov..just my 2cts

enjoy

2. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 12:30
Brea, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

Thank you both for the quick reply! Ok,Cesky it is. The tour that we take is about 10 hours so I will check and see what is included now that I know how far of a drive it is.

Happy travels!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

If you were to come on a bus, it would cost about 180 Crowns per person one way. The castle entrance is 240 Crowns. Just letting you know so you can see if what you are paying for your tour makes sense.

kilkenny ireland
Level Contributor
202 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

hi went to dresden in february from prague.

i avoided the guided trip and just done it ourselves.

train left prague at 10.40 and arrived in dresden at 12.20 or so and we spent 5 hours or so wandering around and made it back to prague around 7pm.

when you get of the train its only a 10min walk to the centre so no need for any other taxis or trams.

just to say the train trip alone is worth the trip,

beautiful scenery all the way up and dresden its self is amazing to see the way it has been rebuilt after the second world war and weird to see that there are still places left still.

hope this gives you another idea.

just to confuse you even more we made another trip out to TEREZIN.and this is well worth it but this only takes 5 hours or so.

philip

Washington DC, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

We are planning one day trip Prague- Drezden in September. How much did you pay for that train? I found online price (roundtrip) around $236 for two. Is it real? And what train did you use? Thanks.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

https://eshop.cd.cz/international/info.aspx - check your prices here - if you buy in advance the return ticket to Dresden can be as little as 22Euros per person

kilkenny ireland
Level Contributor
202 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

just on the train trip i think KVKFAN has lead you in the right direction allready.

heres some other links for info for you.

www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp…

http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlaky/spojeni/

just to say do not pay anything like that price you are being advised.

i arrived that day in the station and paid approx 38 euro return on the day.seeing the other link posted by kvkfan it can be gotten cheaper.

the train i got was actually the VIENNA to BERLIN train.

just watch for the carriages that are booked allready,they have a little booking form outside the carriage,we just keep moving up the train till we found an empty one.

hope this helps.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

Interestingly, normally eshop does not offer 1st class tickets, but they do for Dresden! Cheap too!

Washington DC, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Prague- Cesky K. or Dresden?

BIG HELP! thanks a lot!