We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tesco stores - question for Brits

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Tesco stores - question for Brits

I am familiar with Tesco stores after visiting GBR. How do the prices and products in Prague compare with those in England or Northern Ireland?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,375 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tesco stores - question for Brits

much the same though obviously catering more for the Czech market.lots more loose goods especially fruit and veg and breads and nowhere near as many ready meals .You will recognise a lot of the products and they still have the value range.I would say the deli and the fresh meat counters are much better.

The Narodni Trida store in Prague (the only one I have been in) is more of a dept store with the supermarket on the ground floor and various depts on the other floors,there are also several concession stalls about the place.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tesco stores - question for Brits

The Tesco on Národní is quite different from Tescos in the UK as it has been through a few hands over the years - it was originally the state-owned Prior (I think) then the awful K-Mart and then Tesco, and it hasn't really changed much.

However, the out-of-town hypermarkets are a different matter, and are generally a lot bigger than those in the UK. In the one in Olympia in Brno, for example, the staff go around on roller blades as it is so big :)

I agree with Unclegus - the deli counters put their British counterparts to shame, and the fish counters are enormous - there are tanks with live fish in them.

Manchester
Level Contributor
155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tesco stores - question for Brits

And also, the beer is a lot cheaper in there too. I think I paid 18Kc for a bottle of Kozel svelty - good stuff!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tesco stores - question for Brits

We always stop at the large Tescos at Plzen on the way home (normally on sunday - back to the "third world"). Also stop at the Olympia Shopping centre the next exit down to go to Halfords.

5. Re: Tesco stores - question for Brits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 06:21