We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Prague from Vienna

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Prague from Vienna

I checked the OBB site - buying in advance, the price is 29E for 2nd class and 39E for 1st class. Is there a big difference between them? I don't mind paying another 10E if I get more comfort - it is a fairly long ride.

As a woman traveling alone, should I be concerned about arriving in Prague at 11.30 at night on the train?

This is my first trip to Austria and Czech Rep and any help and advice will be most welcome.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

There is really no difference between the two - if anything, 2nd is more comfortable on that train as the 1st class carriage has airline style configuration.

Click on the camera image for an interior view:

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

You'll be fine - Prague is one of the safest cities in Europe.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

Thanks, GCEK. I was confused by the photo site, but I will take your word for it. When I book, how do I get a window seat, facing forward? That was always a problem in Italy, facing forward. . . . even the ticket agents never seemed to know! Will there be room for my suitcase to be next to me on the train?

I got a great rate on the Hilton in Prague (the convention center, not the one in Old Town). Can you tell me how best to get there from the train station late at night?

Again, I send you my gratitude.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

You don't need to reserve - just get on the train, find a seat and sit in it - easy!

Suitcases go on the luggage racks above your head, so be careful with how much you take with you.

The Hilton is not the easiest to reach by public transport at the best of times, and if you have luggage it might be best to ask the hotel to send a car to pick you up - it isn't far, but if you have luggage and at that time of night in an unfamiliar city you don't want to mess around with trams and trying to find the hotel.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 19:11
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

BTW on that link I posted above, the first class car is no. 372. All of the others are 2nd, except for the restaurant car (no. 371).

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,862 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

Pitzikat - I see it like this- some people fly business class, for others economy or cheapo air is good enough. It all depends on how much you are willing to pay. For me 10 euro difference between second and first class is no brainer, I would always take 1st - I dont understand why second would be more comfortable, you can see from the pix that in first class there are only 2 seats next to each other, in second there are three. And first class is usually half empty, you can sit anywhere you want really without reservation.

Hilton is one metro stop from the central railway station,Florenc, this line is fairly shallow, the stairs are not too long, so not too bad to get down. You can buy 18 crown ticket from the travel centre, and when you get off (about 2 minutes on the metro) the hotel is about 200 metres walk.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

I'm working on getting info on booking return trip Vienna-Prague. Maybe it's just my "reading- too -much brain" but I do find the websites confusing. I have posted on other forums. I'll happily pay for greater comfort, will also happily book ahead to save money and or to have a seat, if I can figure out how to do this with the time frames I'd prefer. I'm looking forward to great experiences in these cities and will be grateful for any suggestions as to how to simplify the train travel.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

The rail travel bit is simple, as is the buying of the ticket - for the return journey Prague - Vienna it costs €19 from https:/… - 2nd class only, and you have to buy at least 3 days in advance. 1st class would cost c. €60 and you buy that on the day.

The rest is your own choice - whether you go 1st or 2nd on the Vienna - Prague leg is up to you. I find 2nd more comfortable simple because I detest being in an 'airline-style' compartment - you might as well go by bus. In 2nd the chances are that you will have a compartment all to yourself at that time, and if there is somebody else in there it is generally possible to strike up a conversation, but there is no obligation to do so, of course. It is just more sociable. If you want to keep yourself to yourself, then pay the extra €10 :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

Thanks for this. What I find confusing is the website accessibility. We'd like to take an early afternoon train to Prague and then a same time frame return train to Vienna. When I fill in the fields, then try to request a different time ( as not 2 a.m.) I get not redirection. I'm sure it's most likely a "lost in translation" situation as I cannot imagine that a well used system would be so confusing in its native language. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

Everything went well. The train from Vienna was quite crowded but by the third stop most of the passengers had left the train - less than an hour into the 4 hour journey. Second class was very comfortable. I took an earlier train in the end, so as not to arrive too late in Prague. The metro station is in the train station building and the TI office was still open - I arrived close to 9 pm - I think they are open until 10. I bought several single-day transport passes when the TI agent pointed out that a 3-day pass was more expensive than 3 one-day passes. I could have paid in euros, but I had already stopped at an ATM in the station. The few minutes' walk from the Florenc metro to the Hilton was eerie - the shops were all closed and only a couple of people out and about, but I got to the hotel without a hitch.

Loved Vienna, loved Prague. I will return to both, I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone on TA for their help.

10. Re: Getting to Prague from Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 05:15