We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me find this cellar bar!

Vail, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Help me find this cellar bar!

Hi all -- my wife and I are currently in Prague on vacation. I visited here once, about 15 years ago, and one of my favorite memories is of a particular cellar wine bar. The cellar was rustic, had wooden tables and seats, curved brick ceilings, and was fairly large -- there appeared to be a number of little secluded areas for private parties. The thing that set that particular cellar bar apart was that they would serve wine in a pitcher -- and the wine casks were inset into the brick walls. I'd love to take my wife there, but despite all our walking around in the old town and across the bridge in the little quarter area, I can't remember where it was. After all these years, possibly it's gone, though.

Prague
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

"wooden tables and seats, curved brick ceilings"

" there appeared to be a number of little secluded areas for private parties"

U Sudu?

www.facebook.com/group.php…

www.spottedbylocals.com/prague/vinarna-u-sudu

http://www.usudu.cz

Or bar/club U Zoufalcu near Old Town Square (closed before 15 years:)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,349 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

U Zoufalcu - great name was it a good place :)

Prague
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

The best bar/club in Prague history. Closed in 1994 or 95.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

Dont suppose its this one is it?

www.bilykonicek.com/index.php…

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,546 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

U zoufalců - another place rumoured to have been visited by Havel, as with dear old Traubovka in Brno (similar sort of establishment) - plenty of people claimed to have seen him in there having a swift pint with his heavies but whether or not he actually went there is another story :)

Vail, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking it must have been u Zoufalcu. The photos of u Sudu don't look like the place I remember. Anyone remember exactly where u Zoufalcu was located? I wouldn't mind at least walking by before we leave.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,349 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

Exactly no idea, but somewhere in Celetna, but from what you can find on gthe web, it was more of a rock club rather than a wine bar, ??? I expect Hedgie (Jezecek) will give a better answer.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,546 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

Apparently it is a row of boutiques nowadays - when it was open one of the 'features' of the place was that the entrance was very difficult to find ...

Prague
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

U Zoufalcu was in Celetna street, in the passage which leads from Celetna to Kamzikova street. The passage still exists, but it´s full of crystal glass shops etc. Entrance to the cellar is on the left side (when you come from Celetna), but was rebuilt since U Zoufaclu times.

maps.google.com/…

In probably 1997, in the same building, there was semi-private club/cafe called Fashion Club, on the 2nd floor, also cool place with liberal and friendly atmosphere.

It makes me happy to read such questions from Virginia boy looking for my favorite place during my secondary school times:-)

Vail, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me find this cellar bar!

In re-reading this thread -- if u Zoufalcu was primarly a rock club, that wasn't it. The place I remember was primarily a restaurant. Also, the entrance wasn't particularly difficult to find. What set the place apart was that wine casks were embedded in the stone walls.