We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy travel insurance in US

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to buy travel insurance in US

I just discovered that the Czech Republic requires we have health insurance coverage. We've traveled to Europe several times and have never gotten it. Does anyone know what type of agency is the best to get a short term policy?

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

Health insurance requirement exists for any EU country that you visit as a non EU citizen.

According to the Czech Government, a health insurance card or an internationally recognized credit card with health insurance included will generally be accepted as proof of insurance to enter the Czech Republic,do you have either of these?

If you click the link below there are some Insurance companies mentioned.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k146…

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

You have been lucky that you have never been unfortunate to fall ill or have an accident when visiting Europe before! Health and travel insurance is absolutely essential, wherever you go, and that should go without saying :) I am sure that in the US arranging travel/health insurance is the same as anywhere else and as Torii says, many credit cards throw it in as part of the deal and you might just not know about it.

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

You have been to Europe several time and have never gotten a travel insurance? Consider yourself lucky that nothing half-serious have ever happend to you and I'd suggest to exercise basic common sense and get an adequate coverage next time. I believe it's part of "Travelling 101" not to leave your house witout one (while going aborad).

What I find interesting is that these questions for some reason almost without exception always come from Americans, which I would frankly expect to be the first ones to know firsthand what nightmare it is to be uninsured...

I have an annual multi-trip worldwide travel insurance with multi-million EUR coverage limit sufficient for all kinds of scenarios I don't want to even think about. Traveling should be fun and I simply like the peace of mind.

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

Thanks for the wake up call. I guess we have been lucky in our travels. Of course, we have our regular insurance but it doesn't cover being out of the US and I guess I figured that we wouldn't get sick or injured those couple of weeks. However, I did dwake up and did a lot of research and in case anyone else is interested I found this site.. www.hthtravelinsurance.com. We can get a policy to cover the two of us for one trip for $125.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
965 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

Some details to look for with travel insurance:

Is it primary coverage or secondary coverage?

Does it have a deductible?

What is the benefit limit?

Does it include emergency transportation back to the US?

What about pre-existing conditions?

What about if someone back home gets sick and you need to cancel or return early?

I always check www.insuremytrip.com and compare the plans based on my needs.

Have a safe trip.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
110 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

Try "insuremytrip.com" . They have many companies to choose from and you can pick and choose what amounts you want and then compare companies side by side. There is always a live agent you can "talk" to. We use them all the time and have had no problems.

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

thanks pacosmom for the things to check out. That will be my project for this rainy afternoon. I printed them out to have in front of me. Also thanks for verifying the site, nursenancy.

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

Not sure how relevant it is for you but for some reason multi-trip annual insurance is often as expensive or even cheaper than a single trip policy for a 2-3 week trip.

What I am trying to say is that if you travel more often it is more cost effective to buy the annual multi-trip policy and have the problem solved for entire year.

Also, getting a policy together with your partner/spouse and/or kids saves money too.

As I said I have no idea how different travel insurance is for US citizens or residents, what I was describing was my experience from this side of the Atlantic.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

http://itgworldwide.com/

This company offers insurance policies from several different carriers. Our agent here recommended HTH Worldwide. He felt this had the best coverage.

Ours is somewhat of a special circumstance. We bought short term policies (one month for me and three months for my daughter) with the thought of then purchasing a longer term policy with HTH for my daughter after her three-month period expires. She will be living and working in Prague for the next year at least.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to buy travel insurance in US

Presumably as a US citizen she would require a Czech residence permit, so Czech medical insurance is compulsory and paid directly through her salary.

expats.cz/prague/…