We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you are planning to visit Strahov Monastery........

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
If you are planning to visit Strahov Monastery........

If you are thinking of a visit to see the famous library at Strahov Monastery, please be aware that it is CLOSED for renovation until 2011.

They do NOT inform you about this until AFTER YOU HAVE PAID THE ADMISSION FEE (and hiked up the hill) !!!!!

The only thing you will get to see for your admission fee is all the scaffolding and pictures of what it is supposed to look like.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you are planning to visit Strahov Monastery........

That is a real shame .sound like they still want the money for the refurbishment

well if you are in the area you could do worse and visit this place for lunch.

http://www.klasterni-pivovar.cz/en/

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,311 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you are planning to visit Strahov Monastery........

Strahov Monastery is not only about the Library is it? But their website clearly states that the hall is being refurbished and only partly open to the visitors. A daughter of a friend is one of the restorers so I know this has been going on for at least a year.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you are planning to visit Strahov Monastery........

Hi, Tilly41......

Thanks for your reply.

There is certainly more to the Strahov Monastery than the Library. But the library is a major highlight. And the admission fee you are charged at that building is strictly for the library....not for visiting any other part of the monastery.

If they still want to charge during renovations....at least make it a reduced fee....not the regular price.

Also, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for there to have been a PROMINENT warning at the entrance....BEFORE you pay the admission.....in several languages .......about this renovation situation, especially for those few tourists like myself who neglected to read the monastery website first.

Your friend's daughter might bring this situation to the attention of the management.

Next time I will do my travel homework more meticulously.

The reason I posted this message was in the hopes of being helpful to future travelers.....as so many have been helpful to me in the past, especially for those travellers like myself who did not have the foresight to check the monastery website in advance. That's what I love about Tripadvisor. We can all help each other enhance our travel experiences.

Thanks again for your input.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,311 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you are planning to visit Strahov Monastery........

sorry you were disappointed - I agree that the fee could have been reduced. But perhaps look at it as a contribution to a good cause.

The refurbishment is hugely expensive, but will be worthwhile in the end.

5. Re: If you are planning to visit Strahov Monastery........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 05:21